Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch

Apple Watch

Does anyone here have an apple watch? Most of my friends do but I never really saw the point. Then my sister bought herself a new one about a year ago and offered to give me her old one (a 2nd generation model). I've tried repeatedly to find a use for the thing and honestly I HATE it. I don't like the nonstop notifications. With my phone at least I can set it on a table and forget about it for a while. Not with a watch strapped to my wrist. And then it got annoyed because apparently I take too many photos so the memory ran out. Every five minutes it buzzed to remind me that it's memory was full. Eventually I figured out how to stop photos from syncing, but apparently that is not a normal thing to do because finding the instructions for this task was brutal. And now today I decided to try the iphone widgets thing to see if I could get a button on my phone home screen for the garage door opener so that I wouldn't have to always unlock the phone and open the garage door app. Apparently widgets are not actually a useful thing. So I asked my sister and she suggested if there's a garage door app for the watch to use that. I checked and, yes, there is. But this stupid watch absolutely refuses to sync the garage door app with the phone's garage door app.

TLDR version: I got a free Apple watch, I HATE it, and every time I've attempted to use it I've failed and the experience ends with me wanting to throw the thing on the ground and stomp it into little bits, sort of like the printer in the movie Office Space.

Does anyone want a free second generation Apple Watch. You pay the shipping and it's yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Does anyone want a free second generation Apple Watch. You pay the shipping and it's yours.
    I love technology and collect way more than I should. Whenever I reach the point of frustration with something like that I give it to my youngest grandson. That's what grandkids are for.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I LOVe mine. I’m on my third now. 8 series. I have mine set so there is NO music or photos on the Watch. Especially with the older ones, there wasn’t a lot of memory, even for upgrades. I guess you get a ton of messages. Texts are the only messages that are actually on a Watch app. Everything else (WhatsApp, FB Messenger, Signal) just appear on the watch for maybe 5-10 min. If I don’e respond in that timeframe they’re off the watch notifications.

You can set phone notifications to mirror on your watch or not. And the settings really aren’t THAT bad.

Were you used to wearing a watch regularly? I know people who haven’t worn a watch in years and that was part of their issue with the Apple Watch. I’ve worn a watch for years so that wasn’t an issue for me. And when I’m diving, I have a dive computer on both arms, so I’m used to that sort of thing.

I love the health tracking aspects, especially the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I love technology and collect way more than I should. Whenever I reach the point of frustration with something like that I give it to my youngest grandson. That's what grandkids are for.
    Lol. I don’t have any of those so I did the best I could. I reached out to my youngest close friend (he’s in his mid 30’s and way more tech savvy than I am) and asked his help. He looked into the MyQ app and basically came back with ‘it’s a dodgy app and you’re lucky the phone version works well as a standalone app.’

I'm with Tradd. I love my Apple Watch and the apps I use the most (aside from the basic text messaging, phone and time) are the weather and health data. I think the "ping" that finds your phone for you is worth the price of the watch. I used to be constantly looking for my phone. I also frequently use the timer when I'm cooking (Siri, set timer for 3 minutes) or meditating (Siri, set timer for 11 minutes)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm with Tradd. I love my Apple Watch and the apps I use the most (aside from the basic text messaging, phone and time) are the weather and health data. I think the "ping" that finds your phone for you is worth the price of the watch. I used to be constantly looking for my phone. I also frequently use the timer when I'm cooking (Siri, set timer for 3 minutes) or meditating (Siri, set timer for 11 minutes)
    Oh, yes, the weather app and notifications for severe weather are well worth the watch price, too. I don’t use the phone function, but for messages, knowing whether I need to pull out my phone to answer, hell, yes.

I've been using the Apple Watch for years. I have a love/hate relationship with them.

I wouldn't get one "just because", but if you have a specific application for some of its features/applications, it's quite handy.

My iPhone is lovely. After multiple attempts to make use of the watch I just don’t get it. Since all of you love them by all means I’ll give you my watch. I honestly never want to touch the stupid thing again.

What essential functionality does an Apple Watch have that an iPhone does not have? Is the advantage that it just rides around on your wrist rather than having to grip it?
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What essential functionality does an Apple Watch have that an iPhone have is the advantage that just rides around on your wrist rather than having to grip it?
    Sort of.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information