Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which podcasts have you been listening to?

Which podcasts have you been listening to?

I’m starting this thread because I listen to a ton of podcasts, and I found a couple recent ones that are quite interesting.

“The Turning” is an in-depth study of one topic.
    I recently completed season two of The Turning, 10 episodes about the world of ballet, looking at it from a critical point of view. The producer starts out the world of ballet with George Balanchine, and follows his Legacy through to today, it’s patriarchal view, how men and women interact, how gay and black ballerinas fare in that world, sexual misconduct, etc. I found it super interesting, but that’s only because I find ballet super interesting. Back when I was reading many more books, I liked ballet biographies.

Season one of “The Turning” is about nuns in convent life and I plan to listen to that.

Another podcast I liked very much was “ The retrievals” podcast bySerial and the New York Times. It covers a scandal at Yale fertility clinic about a nurse stealing drugs and patients going without pain medication. It was absolutely shocking to me that this went on as long as it did. I understand employee theft and addiction, but I don’t understand months of patient complaints being ignored.

I listen to these for free on Spotify. For free content you have to listen to ads. I don’t mind them.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-22-23 at 4:26pm.
    I am not a serious person.

The best podcast I ever heard was the multi episode Canadian production called “Hunting warhead. “

It follows the expose and arrest of a young man who ran the world’s biggest Internet sites for child sexual abuse material. It’s told in a very dramatic way, and some might think that drama is a bit heavy handed, but I enjoyed it. This reveals the Canadian guy had a thing for children from a young age, and he had access to them through his time as a swim coach. He also paid a visit to his cousin in the United States and got her small children completely alone in an attempt to do nefarious things, but mainly, he took photographs. He did, however rape a five year old girl with the participation and consent of the girl’s father. Horrible.

I'm interested in what people say here, because I would like recommendations for good podcasts.

The only podcasts in my iPhone library are Ram Dass Be Here Now, the Turning of the Mystics, and Dave Ramsey's show, which isn't as good as it used to be because he's starting to transition out of being a full-time host of the show and I'm sure he'll be retiring soon. The other hosts (one is his daughter, Rachel Cruz) are good enough, but not as entertaining or sharp as Dave.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Just listened to Broken Harts about the couple who adopted six children and then drove them off a cliff. It was interesting if you are interested in adoption and failings of the court system.

I listen sometimes to A Way to Garden podcast though much of it not applicable to where I live.

I’m not very interested in true crime/murder TV shows or podcasts but I somewhat enjoyed the podcast “Scamanda” about a young woman who scammed her community for lots of money over several years with a fake cancer diagnosis. It is pretty amazing how long she was able to keep the con going.

This podcast suffers in production because there are so many female voices talking, and they’re not always identified, and then it suffers from much of what many of them suffer from, being overly lengthy.

The story is interesting, and the production is only mediocre.

I loved the “witch trials of J. K. Rowling “which is multi episode and interviews Rowling herself about her current pariah status for being a trans critical speaker.

There are many other ongoing podcasts I listen to, and maybe one of these days I’ll name them, but right now I’m sticking to talking about the limited series I’ve heard.

I listen to Sam Harris/Waking Up podcast semi routinely, depending on the topic at hand. The first hour or so is free, but then a pay wall, which I don't use. I also listen to The Unexplained with Howard Hues out of the UK. I consider it light entertainment dealing with things like UFOs and paranormal topics. "Lore" is a good story telling podcast about interesting and sometime scary semi factual folklore appropriate for pre bedtime listening. I was a fan of CBS Radio Mystery Theater a few decades ago and there are ways to access the old programs via podcast. Any more if find Ted Talks a little too polished for some reason, but every now and then. Same goes for the Moth and This American Life from PBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I listen to Sam Harris/Waking Up podcast semi routinely, depending on the topic at hand. The first hour or so is free, but then a pay wall, which I don't use. I also listen to The Unexplained with Howard Hues out of the UK. I consider it light entertainment dealing with things like UFOs and paranormal topics. "Lore" is a good story telling podcast about interesting and sometime scary semi factual folklore appropriate for pre bedtime listening. I was a fan of CBS Radio Mystery Theater a few decades ago and there are ways to access the old programs via podcast. Any more if find Ted Talks a little too polished for some reason, but every now and then. Same goes for the Moth and This American Life from PBS.
    oh, interesting! I love The Moth and This American Life and I would like Ira Glass to take all these young Podcasters in hand and teach them how to produce a podcast professionally, and in a “polished” way! Sooooo many of them are in dire need of editing, they put out seven episodes when Ira would’ve covered the topic in three.

i’ve listened to Sam Harris. I like him. He is absolutely apoplectic about Donald Trump becoming the next president. I kind of enjoy him getting riled up.

Thread Information