Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 600 sqft cottage

600 sqft cottage

I love this little place

That is really cute! I could almost live full-time in that space, except there isn't a single closet...also I would need some room for a small art studio space. Hmmm, I actually lived in a space smaller than that behind the gallery and could probably make it work.

I like the exterior, but the interior is cold. Needs better furnishings.
    I am not a serious person.

I like it--very functional. I agree that it could be decorated better, but I like the vaulted ceiling with the dormer and loft.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The problem with most of these cottages is that there are so few places that allow them. Never get involved until you have found the parking/building location that allows any form of tiny house.

An example of a commercial builder trying to build a product for general sales. Looks like something that would be for a rental. The exposed water lines in the bathroom (red ones behind the toilet) are "interesting".

My brother's city has just allowed ADUs in backyards and many of the lots have enough room. He is considering what might work.

I don't see this particular cottage as an ADU... I assumed it was just a smaller-than-usual house. Maybe I don't know the definition of ADU? As you mentioned, if someone is planning on building something like this as a guest cottage, local zoning laws would definitely apply. I've read that in many places ADUs have a 12x12 maximum footprint, or even smaller. One of my outbuildings still has the address of previous owners on a plank above the door, because that qualifies it as an ice-fishing shanty, which is permissible on Vermont residential properties. We use it as a shed, and we use its twin as my husband's man cave.

On a separate but related note, one of my favorite books is Twelve-by-twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid & Beyond the American Dream--a true story about a tax-resisting doctor who moved into a 12x12 house. Great book by William Powers.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    The problem with most of these cottages is that there are so few places that allow them. Never get involved until you have found the parking/building location that allows any form of tiny house.

An example of a commercial builder trying to build a product for general sales. Looks like something that would be for a rental. The exposed water lines in the bathroom (red ones behind the toilet) are "interesting".

My brother's city has just allowed ADUs in backyards and many of the lots have enough room. He is considering what might work.
    This is on a farm and the family uses it for guests.

I love it! But - except for the kitchen - there doesn't look to be much storage space at all.

catherine, I loved Twelve-by-Twelve! Got the recommendation to read it off this forum years ago and is still a favorite!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    On a separate but related note, one of my favorite books is Twelve-by-twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid & Beyond the American Dream--a true story about a tax-resisting doctor who moved into a 12x12 house. Great book by William Powers.
    I'd not heard of the book and looked it up. Aside from living in a small off the grid home he comments on the eclectic neighbors - organic farmers, bio fuel brewers, and eco developers. By my experience with country friends around here, the most likely neighbors would be more along the lines of red necks and cattle ranchers. It would be nice to have neighbors like that and I imagine it's more common in certain areas or places I don't know of. Makes me think of Wendell Barry and Elliot Coleman types. Not that red necks and cattle ranchers are always bad.

One of my favorite books on the subject is two volume "The Not So Big House Collection" by Sarah Susanka. It's slightly dated but I still browse it occasionally. Not much of a story line, but eye candy small spaces for every occasion and not always in the country.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

One of my favorite books on the subject is two volume "The Not So Big House Collection" by Sarah Susanka. It's slightly dated but I still browse it occasionally. Not much of a story line, but eye candy small spaces for every occasion and not always in the country.
    I LOVE Sarah Susanka, and I used to have several of her books. I'm down to a couple. The thought she puts into architecture and design is so inspirational.

Thread Information