Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roma Invicta

Roma Invicta

I keep seeing this meme of American men thinking about the Roman Empire more frequently than you might expect. I would guess that my own thoughts touch on it maybe 5-10 times per week, mostly due to my reading and podcast habits. I’m not sure if I can think of an equivalent female interest. Maybe true crime.

I do not even know what you’re talking about. I guess it is not a female interest!
    I am not a serious person.

I didn't know this was a thing until a couple of days ago when the NY Post decided to tell us it was, or at least that it is among women talking about their husbands on TikTok.

I'll have to admit that I probably think of the Roman Empire a dozen or so times per week, mainly in terms of roads and aqueducts which have survived for nearly 2000 years, architecture, democracy, republicanism, orgies and of course, Caesar Salad.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I'm not a good datapoint here. I taught my daughter Latin/Greek in elementary school(*). She's now a Fellow at St. John's/Cambridge, and we chat about relevant Roman matters all the time.

Yppej
    I am always thinking about the Founding Fathers and overthrowing tyrannical governments.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Conn Iggulden wrote a wonderful 5 book series set in the time of Julius Caesar. I coincidentally found him after reading his riveting Genghis Khan series. A very talented British Author.

in Catholic school I had to learn Latin but I remember little, but have kept a basic French literacy. However I often recognize Latin derived words in our English language.

Per a quick search, the Roman Empire memes are all over Reddit, tik tok, instagram, X and other platforms I ignore.

it might be fun to use words in ordinary sentences like “There was a legion of people at the grocery store” today and see people’s reactions.

I must tune into the wrong news. The most I've ever though about the Romans is from the series "Detectorists", where they are always looking for buried Roman gold hoards. And Time Team that does ancient British excavations of all eras in a BBC series. I have a minor concept of the Roman timeline for occupation of the British Isles.

I suspect I could be missing the entire concept of why the Roman Empire would suddenly be of interest and if there are some sort of cultural analogies to modern times.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Sitting here in Portland I think of Nero all the time.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I suspect I could be missing the entire concept of why the Roman Empire would suddenly be of interest and if there are some sort of cultural analogies to modern times.
    Well, I find Cicero’s orations concerning Cataline still quite appropriate to inform modern times. (They made us memorize these back in school!)

I'd begin at the beginning, with the first Catilinarian oration.
    Last edited by bae; 9-20-23 at 12:49pm. Reason: User error

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I must tune into the wrong news. The most I've ever though about the Romans is from the series "Detectorists", where they are always looking for buried Roman gold hoards. And Time Team that does ancient British excavations of all eras in a BBC series. I have a minor concept of the Roman timeline for occupation of the British Isles.

Awwww, I love Detectorists!
    I am not a serious person.

Thread Information