Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October purge

October purge

It hurt my heart but I had to trash two Halloween decorations. One was a wreath that I dropped and it literally split into two. Form was made of styrofoam and snapped when I accidentally dropped it trying to hang it up. No idea how it happened because it wasn't a hard fall. Also got rid of a mini flag. I used to just pin it to my porch but decided I didn't want to do that anymore.

Yppej
    A couple pieces of kinky lingerie I will never wear again.

I gave a bag of clothing to a local woman who does volunteer work and was doing a clothing collection for a group of women in recovery. She was specifically looking for sizes S/XS, so that is my niche! So far this year, I've bought 16 clothing items and donated 25, so I am ahead of the game. (My little sister thinks it's the funniest thing in the world that I track this on a spreadsheet).

Yppej
    A sweater whose sleeves have stretched way too far. I felt like I was swimming in it. I typically wear my clothes out until they are too bad to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    A sweater whose sleeves have stretched way too far. I felt like I was swimming in it. I typically wear my clothes out until they are too bad to donate.
    That is commendable Jeppy, and I clearly cannot say the same. DH wears his clothes until they are ready for the ragbag. I definitely buy clothes that are wants rather than needs, although I've come a long way. I bought a couple of cute shirts on vacation, because they were so cute! And they fit! I am a very careful laundress, so my clothing almost never does wear out, except for shoes, socks and underwear.
    I've always had a hard time finding clothing that fits me well. I'm also pretty fussy and I have zero tolerance for anything that is the least bit uncomfortable. My sister says that clothes shopping with me is like shopping with an autistic child, although surely that's a bit of an exaggeration! I needed to buy some good walking shoes this year, and I tried on dozens and dozens of pairs. I finally found something I liked a lot from Skechers, so I bought 3 pairs, with 2 stashed away for the future. I am hoping not to have to try any shoes on again for a very long time.
    I definitely have clothing issues.

No one wants my clothes when I’m done they are dirty, stained, sometimes torn. Most of them originate from the thrift store anyway.

Rosa I used to have no trouble with my feet until I got some gouty joints. I hope your feet do not change in the years ahead and you can still wear those squirreled away pairs.!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-6-23 at 4:13pm.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    No one wants my clothes when I’m done they are dirty, stained, sometimes torn. Most of them originate from the thrift store anyway.

Rosa I used to have no trouble with my feet until I got some gouty joints. I hope your feet do not change in the years ahead and you can still wear those squirreled away pairs.!
    I know, that has occurred to me! Fortunately/unfortunately, I don't consider Skechers to be the most long-lasting of shoes, so I don't think we're talking about too many years into the future. Merrell clogs used to be my daily wear, but they changed the style and newer versions were no longer comfortable. A knowledgeable salesperson in a shoe store confirmed that the change was them and not me, lol, and they have since made some modifications that might make them work for me again. But I would never wear clogs for walking shoes. My last pair of walking shoes were by Chaco, and they don't seem to be making a laced-up walking shoe anymore.
    I'm also finding that newer shoes tend to have memory foam insoles, which wear out pretty quickly relative to the rest of the shoe. I think I need to find a good quality replacement insole, and would welcome any suggestions. I have a pair of Clark clogs that look practically brand new on the outside, but the insoles have gotten all mushy and crappy.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Just cleaned out a 95 yo relatives house. She moved in when she was 5.
    there are boxes and bags full of yarn, fabric, clothes, books, old plastic toys and so on. The total number of 10 hour workdays we all did so far would be about 15. We need to go back, but SIL and her kids will be there for 2 full days each then SIL will stay on. We are about 25% done. The chest freezer was packed, the oldest bag of food was labeled 2004. Obviously most was pitched. I bought several hundred skeins of yarn to a knitting group, and boxes of fabric, thread, trims etc to a church sewing group. SIL is cleaning out food cabinets today. I must have thrown away 500 empty yogurt, cool whip and similar containers. 100+ flowerpots a neighbor kindly took.
    there is a room full of things that one of the grandkids is going to try to sell.

keep carrying on with your purges. This person was born in the twenties, lived through the depression and WW2 rationing and victory gardens. The fridge had about 40 butter wrappers to butter pans and so on. Don’t let others clean up your mess. It will take us months to even be able to put the house on the market.

we encouraged her to let us help her clean out through the years but she accused us of wanting to steal her stuff.

Oh no, Flowers, I do not envy you that task! We are fortunate that Mom has allowed us to do some major decluttering in recent years. She used to have hoarder-level rooms of stuff where you could not even use the rooms. She did somehow get better about it and accept our help in getting rid of stuff and making her home more comfortable and livable. It definitely makes life easier with her Alzheimer's and her constant dizziness that there aren't piles of crap all over the place.

Flowers, I will be interested to know when you look back at this clean out if it was worth the time you all spent.

For me, ain’t no way I am spending 10 hours days for weeks to mess with yogurt containers.

I guess my method would be: scoop up all of the personal papers necessary to settle the estate, then hire local appraiser to walk through and take any large items of value to sell for me. Finally, hire dumpsters and chuck the rest into dumpsters.
    I am not a serious person.

Thread Information