Thread: Prestige

Prestige

Care to expound on this? But yeah==please do.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Care to expound on this?
    Off the top of my head I'd say esteem, distinction, eminence, cachet, prominence and perhaps renown. Why do you ask?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I like Alan's synonyms. There is probably a general yearning for prestige. IMHO, the desire for prestige is attached to ego.

I read a meme on FB recently that reminded me of something I wish I could remember, lol! It was about how we will die and within a generation, our grandchildren and great-grandchildren may have faint memories of us, and beyond that, our lives, our efforts, our dreams, our successes, our failures, will all be unknown. Nothing. A sobering thought, but freeing as well. Why scramble for prestige when it's all a flash in the pan? That's why I do admire the communities, religious and otherwise, that strive to help people who need help right now. Over time, books won't be read, statues won't be erected, but for that one person that you help today, you will have....simply helped someone. That's it. Isn't that enough?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I like Alan's synonyms. There is probably a general yearning for prestige. IMHO, the desire for prestige is attached to ego.

I read a meme on FB recently that reminded me of something I wish I could remember, lol! It was about how we will die and within a generation, our grandchildren and great-grandchildren may have faint memories of us, and beyond that, our lives, our efforts, our dreams, our successes, our failures, will all be unknown. Nothing. A sobering thought, but freeing as well. Why scramble for prestige when it's all a flash in the pan? That's why I do admire the communities, religious and otherwise, that strive to help people who need help right now. Over time, books won't be read, statues won't be erected, but for that one person that you help today, you will have....simply helped someone. That's it. Isn't that enough?
    Yes, I agree that it is freeing to think of our tiny selves in the vast cosmos, our insignificance.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-20-23 at 9:45am.
    I am not a serious person.

There’s a reason smart guys used to keep skulls on their desks as a reminder of their mortality. And it’s certainly true that all those status seekers anxiously burdening the internet trying to build a “brand” are wasting time.

Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use at least part of your transitory life trying to move the needle a tiny bit in the right direction.

I'd say that prestige is a descriptor for how others view us, where as more importantly, how we view ourselves.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Thread Information