Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mexican healthcare.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    What did you think of the anthropology museum? I've heard this is one of the most amazing museums in the world?

Let me know what you think of Puerto Vallarta if you would. Rob

The anthropology museum is indeed quite imipressive. They basically present the entire known history of Mexico from the wayback times until relatively recent times. It's well put together in a chronological fashion and has thousands of items in the collection. It's a bit of a slog for anyone who doesn't speak Spanish or have a human interpreter with them. The introductions to each exhibit are translated to English, but none of the individual pieces displayed have English plaques. Google translate helped but the wifi coverage is spotty so that wasn't always an option. It also would be nice if they had those individual audio tour listening devices that lots of museums have. I find that those make a museum visit more enjoyable since I don't have to use my eyes for reading but can instead get information aurally while looking at the actual pieces of the collection as they are described. When we were walking up to the building a lady offered a personal tour. In hindsight that probably would have been money well spent. Especially considering that admission to the museum is just under $5 US.

PV is nice in a touristy, beach type way. It's sunny and warm and quite clean. The people who live here appear to be quite a bit wealthier on average compared to Mexico City We're staying in the romantic zone which has tons of restaurants, shops, bars, etc. that all cater to tourists. I found an excellent tiny coffee shop a block from our condo this morning that sold me a big latte for about $3 US. While having lunch at a beach bar yesterday after arriving we were approached by vendors selling various wares at least once every few minutes, which gets a bit tiring. THe things for sale were varied. Jewelry, clothing hand woven hammocks, little toys and tchochkes were most common. For instance everyone selling cuban cigars also had pot and one of the cigar salesmen even had cocaine for sale and even offered for us to try a sample... And the "massage" vendors all offered to help find one of the opposite sex when we said no.

Rob, now that we've been in PV for a week I am willing to say that it's probably not your cup of tea. As I mentioned before it's very much a touristy beachy town. THe main activities, which SO and I both enjoy, are going to one of the beach clubs during the day and enjoying the sun and water while having a waiter bring beverages and food as desired, and a steady stream of vendors selling goods and non-sexual male massages (since we've been at the gay beach clubs). Then in the evening going to dinner and to the bars/clubs. There isn't a whole lot of "culture" available. At most, if one tires of the beach, there are options for day trips inland a bit to go horseback riding or zip lining or ATV riding, etc. And of course scuba diving, snorkeling, boat rides, parasailing, etc.

Overall we've had a quite relaxing vacation here. It's relatively cheaper than most other luxury beach places I've been. Food and drink are actually cheaper than they are in the bay area, our really nice 2 bedroom condo is under $200/night, airfare was cheap, and we don't need a rental car. Hawaii is at least 40% more expensive overall. On the downside, as a middle aged white gay dude, I'm squarely in the demographic to be a sex tourist. I wouldn't even want to guess the number of times I've been walking down the street and offered "massage". Thankfully all the gay for pay dudes selling those "massages" appear to be at least twenty or older.

And as a random aside, this is such a major destination for upper middle class gay dudes that we've randomly run into two friend couples from back when we lived in NJ. Apparently the biggest of the gay beach clubs here is considered a "must go to"place for people in the upper middle class urban gay male demographic.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Rob, now that we've been in PV for a week I am willing to say that it's probably not your cup of tea. As I mentioned before it's very much a touristy beachy town. THe main activities, which SO and I both enjoy, are going to one of the beach clubs during the day and enjoying the sun and water while having a waiter bring beverages and food as desired, and a steady stream of vendors selling goods and non-sexual male massages (since we've been at the gay beach clubs). Then in the evening going to dinner and to the bars/clubs. There isn't a whole lot of "culture" available. At most, if one tires of the beach, there are options for day trips inland a bit to go horseback riding or zip lining or ATV riding, etc. And of course scuba diving, snorkeling, boat rides, parasailing, etc.

Overall we've had a quite relaxing vacation here. It's relatively cheaper than most other luxury beach places I've been. Food and drink are actually cheaper than they are in the bay area, our really nice 2 bedroom condo is under $200/night, airfare was cheap, and we don't need a rental car. Hawaii is at least 40% more expensive overall. On the downside, as a middle aged white gay dude, I'm squarely in the demographic to be a sex tourist. I wouldn't even want to guess the number of times I've been walking down the street and offered "massage". Thankfully all the gay for pay dudes selling those "massages" appear to be at least twenty or older.

And as a random aside, this is such a major destination for upper middle class gay dudes that we've randomly run into two friend couples from back when we lived in NJ. Apparently the biggest of the gay beach clubs here is considered a "must go to"place for people in the upper middle class urban gay male demographic.
    Jp1, Thank You for your takes. Glad you had a good time. And Thank You for the tipoff on PV - I really am not the gay resort beach crowd type LOL. SO wants to go one of these days so I will eventually go - I'm sure I'll find some way to deal LOL. PV does have nice scenery, though. Rob

Thread Information