Thread: Countertop composters

Countertop composters

I don't know why, but I just recently learned that these exist! Spendy, tho.

Do any of you own one, and if so, what do you think?

We've recently moved to a small 55+ neighborhood and do not have a large garden space like we'd had. I had a huge 2-bin compost system and there is no need or space for such here. We left it behind anyway.

But I have a small area, a patio and small garden (mostly flowers) and some pots, etc. A few trees, then large area of woods beyond. I just hate not composting my veggie peels, cores, paper, coffee grounds, etc. So I happened upon these countertop ones, and they seem so very efficient. But not leaping to buy yet. The mention of it caused my hubby to leap up out of his procrastination to say he would build a small bin outdoors, but 1- I just don't see it happening, and 2- we really don't have space for one.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Can't you just use a larger pot, with no bottom as a compost bin?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Can't you just use a larger pot, with no bottom as a compost bin?
    Hmm, I would have to think about this, but offhand I think I would probably fill it up pretty quickly and it would not be broken down before I would have to dump it someplace.

The thing that impressed me about these composters is the speed at which they break materials down. Virtually overnight.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

https://www.honestlymodern.com/elect...st%20at%20home.

Hi KayLR, I found the above site. Seems to question the sense of it.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't really researched it much or thought it through. Makes sense that they're basically dehydrater/choppers.

Hi, KayLR,

I've got a pair of bokashi composter bins at home, and they're doing wonders!

It's as easy as tossing in your everyday organic waste, giving it a sprinkle of organic compost activator. Surprisingly, no unpleasant odors, even when opened – thanks to its hermetic seal and anaerobic process.
    After four weeks, the composted material can go into your regular compost or straight into the soil, turning into compost remarkably fast.
    I even did a little test – buried some material, and in just two weeks, it transformed into rich soil! Plus, the bin cleverly separates any liquid produced, which turns out to be fantastic fertilizer.
    I regularly use it for both my outdoor and indoor plants.

IMG_9063.jpg

Regards,

Tomaz

www.woodworkingadviser.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaz View Post
    Hi, KayLR,

I've got a pair of bokashi composter bins at home, and they're doing wonders!

It's as easy as tossing in your everyday organic waste, giving it a sprinkle of organic compost activator. Surprisingly, no unpleasant odors, even when opened – thanks to its hermetic seal and anaerobic process.
    After four weeks, the composted material can go into your regular compost or straight into the soil, turning into compost remarkably fast.
    I even did a little test – buried some material, and in just two weeks, it transformed into rich soil! Plus, the bin cleverly separates any liquid produced, which turns out to be fantastic fertilizer.
    I regularly use it for both my outdoor and indoor plants.

IMG_9063.jpg

Regards,

Tomaz

www.woodworkingadviser.com
    Thank you, Tomaz, I will look into them. I educated myself more on the ones I had seen and they are nothing more than super-blenders. They don't really compost. So I am newly hopeful.

Thread Information