Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday in person shopping

Black Friday in person shopping

Does anyone do the early in person shopping on Black Friday anymore? We were talking about this at dinner yesterday. The last time I really did this was when I was in college in the late 80s. A friend and I went to Fairlane Mall in Dearborn, MI. Mall opened at 7 and we were there shortly after. Had all our shopping done by 11, dropped purchases off for the free wrapping that was offered, and then lunch. We picked our wrapped gifts up after lunch. I haven’t been to the mall in years and even a crowded Target isn’t my idea of fun. I order online. I got a pack of Apple AirTags for $20 off the regular cost last night and a new wallet I needed for $10 and that’s the extent of my shop. From Amazon, of course.

I’ll take advantage of being off (even though I have to do some work from home today) I’ll run some tanks by the dive shop for their annual inspection.

No way. I haven't done early Black Friday shopping for years and years. Actually, I don't think I ever got up early for Black Friday sales. If there was some "must have" kids toys like Cabbage Patch dolls, my kids just didn't get them if stores ran out. It's just the principle of the thing. I will never fight in a feeding frenzy for any good deal. Period.

I will order online, but even with that, I'm not a rabid Black Friday shopper. There are always deals that come along, and there no one thing I HAVE to have.
    Last edited by catherine; 11-24-23 at 10:00am.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

While I do live near outlet shopping, I cannot deal with crowds--it gets worse and worse the older I get--so I try to stay away from stores today.

Went by Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL this morning. It’s at the intersection of two freeways and exits were all jammed. The mall lots I could see were packed, as well as nearby stores such as IKEA. All I did today was drop some diving tanks off for annual inspection. I also hit the grocery store and got apple cider cinnamon donuts on sale, as well as some shrimp.

There doesn't seem to be the drive (at least among my acquaintances and family) to participate in that frenzy anymore.

What the heck, the Black Friday advertising and promotions began before Halloween! So ..like Catherine said, there seems to be a sale going on all the time.

Incidentally, my grandson (21, autistic, big train aficianado) wants to go to a train show today at their local mall, but his mom doesn't want to take him for fear of having to deal with all the craziness. It's a shame. (Neither one does well with crowds) But, that's when the model train club thought they could get the best exposure, I guess.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I rarely shop in person any time at all, other than groceries and an occasional run to Home Depot and nurseries for plants. I think online shopping is the best thing since automatic garage door openers. I do pick up a few Black Friday type sales online. It seems like Black Friday goes all week or more.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I rarely shop in person any time at all, other than groceries and an occasional run to Home Depot and nurseries for plants. I think online shopping is the best thing since automatic garage door openers. I do pick up a few Black Friday type sales online. It seems like Black Friday goes all week or more.
    Roger, I’m with you on online shopping. Love it.

Another online shopper here. Wondering if anyone on this forum does holiday shop at stores.

We spent the day at the pottery studio.

I did the "get up pre-dawn and stand in line" on Black Friday once. They handed out tickets down the line for certain items that had limited stock and the last ticket on the item I wanted went to the third person ahead of me. I left. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information