Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Friday in person shopping

This is the time of year I generally hate going into stores even for the weekly shopping. I've worked enough retail in my life to where I just don't like the holidays anymore. Too much forced hoopla. I'll make sure to do my weekly Target runs in the mornings on a weekday.

I never did the Black Friday thing as it did not appeal though I had in-law relatives who would pile into the car at 7a on Black Friday and head out to shop. I have noticed that Facebook ads have me figured out though down to the style of clothing I wear, the colors, etc. due to the few times I have looked online at clothing and shoes. At first, I was tempted to buy since they know what I like. I don't really need anything so will resist any urges to buy clothing and such. I suppose I should search for weird items just to see what pops up on my FB feed.

I saw an interesting video the other day, it was Black Friday on some European location, the TV broadcaster was there, inside some store right before they open the door, the funny part was, when the door was open, only one guy came in, the comments on that video said: And he was probably an American tourist.

To be honest, we don't care much, I think. We know they raise the prices before making a discount. I don't know if that's how it works in America, but in here, it is. There's something people must learn, specially young people, they're programmed with investing, which is good, but they must first learn to save, to do so, they must learn to make a distinction between what they need, and what they want. Then to understand if something actually worth the money they're paying, just because it's on discount, doesn't mean it worth that money.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    We did do some shopping here and since we've been following prices, we know the 70 to 80 percent discounts we found were legit, though mostly at WalMart. But legit regardless. But the whole thing we did online except for stopping at the remains of a once thriving inner city mall to buy a discounted fake ficus tree. And that's the first time I have been at an actual mall in a few years - and the last time was for a mystery shop. I have much less expensive alternatives than overpriced and depressing US malls.

I would not be surprised to see more and more malls slowly go under - this online shopping is just too much easier. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    We did do some shopping here and since we've been following prices, we know the 70 to 80 percent discounts we found were legit, though mostly at WalMart. But legit regardless. But the whole thing we did online except for stopping at the remains of a once thriving inner city mall to buy a discounted fake ficus tree. And that's the first time I have been at an actual mall in a few years - and the last time was for a mystery shop. I have much less expensive alternatives than overpriced and depressing US malls.

I would not be surprised to see more and more malls slowly go under - this online shopping is just too much easier. Rob
    Most of the Black Friday shopping I know of doesn’t happen at the malls. It’s at stand alone stores. Walmart, Target, Kohls, and the like. I really don’t know anyone who hits the mall anymore.

I was actually with a friend this past weekend and we went to a mall. It was surprisingly crowded - moreso than I expected. And people were actually purchasing. We basically walked around browsing but neither of us really needed or wanted anything. The time was more being together.

Oh, correction... I got a forth piercing in each ear! Nobody at home has noticed yet.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information