Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High cholesterol conundrum

My experience with strokes in my family is that you don't just die suddenly. If you like lingering in a nursing home for a few months half paralyzed and unable to speak, it might be a good way out. As they say, you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    My experience with strokes in my family is that you don't just die suddenly. If you like lingering in a nursing home for a few months half paralyzed and unable to speak, it might be a good way out.
    I agree with that... my mother lived for 20 years in assisted living after experiencing a burst aneurysm in her brain and a subsequent stroke during surgery. I think IL's point was to prefer the ones that take you out completely.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I agree with that... my mother lived for 20 years in assisted living after experiencing a burst aneurysm in her brain and a subsequent stroke during surgery. I think IL's point was to prefer the ones that take you out completely.
    I understand that. My point being that statins reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, but they don't absolutely prevent it. We can all be so lucky as to have the end come suddenly after a well lived life. Banking on a stroke before Alzheimer's gets you is a pretty lame bet.

I understand that. My point being that statins reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, but they don't absolutely prevent it. We can all be so lucky as to have the end come suddenly after a well lived life. Banking on a stroke before Alzheimer's gets you is a pretty lame bet.
    That's true.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    I have found a way to live worry free. I don't get tested for anything and then I don't have to worry about it.

Haha, well, I told ya’ll that once I started high blood pressure meds I felt it unlikely that a big stroke would take me out. Nawww, it will be mini strokes that limit me. Oh joy.
    I am not a serious person.

I remembered the details of my path into statins today. I resisted for three or four years thinking I could improve them and getting a doctor discussion every year. Instead, each year it edged up a little. It might go without saying, but I'd not make a choice based on one test and without trying a few things first. My family history weighed on my choices.

I lowered my tri's and ldl through fish oil capsules and reducing both sugar and alcohol consumption. Most of the benefit was the first 6 months and now its stabilized. Whole family has high cholesterol although i think mine is lowest among siblings.

Need to look at the big picture

My levels are elevated, but I don't take statins. Cholesterol plays an important role in your biology, and I think the medical focus on the heart risk is influenced by the availability of pharma solutions. I would encourage you to look into all cause mortality stats. You probably have some risk at your levels, but the risk may not be as high as you think. For me even though my LDL was elevated, the ratio wasn't crazy bad and my corresponding all cause risk isn't actually elevated.

See for example https://www.nature.com/articles/s415...61-y/figures/2 for the summary

And here for more break out by age and gender https://www.nature.com/articles/s415...61-y/figures/3

There is actually more risk to being too low than too high.

I researched and did a presentation on statins. From everything I have read the risks far outweigh the rewards. The benefit is about 1% but the risk for diabetes, cancer and deterioration of muscle (especially in legs is high). I wish I would have kept my notes so I could give the exact numbers.

I have been taking berberine with unbelievable results. Do your research and see if you think this could benefit you too. YLMV

Thread Information