Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light bulbs?

Light bulbs?

I haven't needed to buy light bulbs in a while and am shocked at how expensive and confusing to buy they are now. Lumens and various shades of light - I really don't know which to get so any advice is appreciated. just need basic LED bulbs with 60 to 75 watt equivalency that aren't $5 each. For lamps and ceiling lights.

Why can’t you pay five dollars each?
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I haven't needed to buy light bulbs in a while and am shocked at how expensive and confusing to buy they are now. Lumens and various shades of light - I really don't know which to get so any advice is appreciated. just need basic LED bulbs with 60 to 75 watt equivalency that aren't $5 each. For lamps and ceiling lights.
    Check out the Amazon Basics LED. Forget how much I paid, but they’re working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Why can’t you pay five dollars each?
    Seriously? Why waste money if you don’t have to? Especially if you are replacing a number of lights as OP indicated.

Our power company, National Grid, frequently offers deals on lightbulbs and other items. I take advantage of those offers and get bulbs for under a dollar each. If they are bundled with items I don't need, I give those other items away.

LED lights last a lifetime.. it's a mind shift for we folk who are used to incandescents burning out in a relatively short amount of time. That's why they're $5 each. When the Home Depot guy told me that the bulbs I was buying were going to last 24 years it occurred to me that they were probably going to outlive me. In reality the internet indicates that if you use the bulb 10 house a day it will last 14 years.

When choosing a light bulb with all those confusing features, I personally like "soft white." so if you are making the investment, consider the ambience that particular bulb is going to give, as well as the wattage needed for specific tasks, since you are going to wind up with a bulb that lasts forever.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Some of the LED bulbs we bought two years ago are now flickering which is very aggravating.

It's been something over 5 years, maybe 6 since we replaced all our incandescent bulbs with LED, haven't changed a single bulb since. We bought extras at the time because after a lifetime of incandescent bulbs, that's just what you do, so now I'm thinking we have enough to last the rest of our lives.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I have a little stsh of old incandescent bulbs that I may get rid of in the next decluttering. There is probably someone out there in the internet who has done a cost analysis, but my guess is that a $5 LED is cost effective in terms of energy use and longevity. However, my check on Amazon basics is that a $3 LED is common, if the retail price is an issue. None of my LED flicker, but I think when they first came out and maybe for el cheapos there could be issues.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Our Dollar Store sells LED bulbs ($1.25 each). I will also stock up just a bit when the grocery store has a sale (usually $1 or less).
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information