Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: percentage of net worth in housing

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    When I think about downsizing, I would view it a transition to an improved quality of life... great pleasures during our riper years. My dear wife and I have done some scouting. She tends to be a rugged individualist, while I can appreciate the engagement and mutual aid involved in co-housing or the odd non-profit condo development, such as Mountain Meadow Condos, located in Ashland OR. The price would be quite steep to buy or rent in the sort of Shangri La that would lure me from our home in the Northern Highlands of Wisconsin.
    That’s probably where my aunt in Ashland, OR lived. She died a few years ago. I say “probably” because she moved there with several of her friends. They moved from Sea Ranch, CA, so they have that sort of Rich Hippie Expectation for housing.
    I am not a serious person.

Interesting discussion. We own our home free and clear. After some calculating, it looks like our home represents about 93.5% of our net worth.
    We have modest savings and 4 old vehicles. We don't have any retirement accounts, nor do we want any.
    We live simply. Our only pressing concern is no health insurance. We are currently healthy for our age (57 and 52). We will be looking into a catastrophic health plan soon, as this just recently came to our attention that such a thing exists.

Quote Originally Posted by cx3 View Post
    Interesting discussion. We own our home free and clear. After some calculating, it looks like our home represents about 93.5% of our net worth.
    We have modest savings and 4 old vehicles. We don't have any retirement accounts, nor do we want any.
    We live simply. Our only pressing concern is no health insurance. We are currently healthy for our age (57 and 52). We will be looking into a catastrophic health plan soon, as this just recently came to our attention that such a thing exists.
    You sound like a kindred spirit in some ways... can you tell me why you don't want any retirement accounts? Is it a philosophy you can share?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes catherine, to answer your question, why we don't believe in retirement accounts. My wife and I live our lives believing teotwawki is inevitably quickly approaching. To invest for retirement would be in conflict with this position. I think I'll leave it at that.

We just completed our annual asset review.

Our residences, 2 of them, make up ….% net worth. I was way underestimating that number when I replied to this thread earlier.

I do not expect that percentage to change much in the next several years. While our assets are growing at a healthy rate, I want to hit charitable donations harder, so …we shall see what happens to those numbers.

Edited to say: the number above was incorrect, and I’m an idiot. I was including the farm in this this calculation. The one, true, and final number is this: our residences make up 9% of our net worth.

9%
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-1-24 at 12:43pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We just completed our annual asset review.

Our residences, 2 of them, make up 22% of our net worth. I was way underestimating that number when I replied to this thread earlier.

I do not expect that percentage to change much in the next several years. While our assets are growing at a healthy rate, I want to hit charitable donations harder, so …we shall see what happens to those numbers.
    Thank you, I just redid the calculations on our current situation and we are at around 29%. I have no idea why I write 8 percent, what I meant--made no sense when I looked at the numbers again.

See adjustment above. I foolishly included farmland in that first number.

I see. If I include inheritance, my number will change but I am including that in my figures until the estate is settled.

Thread Information