Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 40 Hours Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method - Dec. 4, 2023 - Feb. 29, 2024

It sounds like you accomplished a lot, EJ. I think it's very nice that your guinea pigs have their own bedroom!

That's great ej! The bedroom is becoming lovely!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think it's very nice that your guinea pigs have their own bedroom!
    Yes - they're too noisy at night to share with my daughter or me!

Thanks, Rosa and Nswef, for the encouragement.

Today I took a few things to Goodwill, dumped off a bunch of used ink cartridges for recycling at Staples, and got two new plants - one to replace one that died and one to put in the window in the living room which is kind of a focal point. I also posted 3 items on Buy Nothing, all of which were claimed quickly.

It all took about 2 hours, but I'm going to count it as 1 since I pulled over at one point to send an email and to talk to a friend.

New total: 26.

Today, I faced the downstairs closet because, as I mentioned before, I needed to move about 3 boxes of junk and a painting I don't know where to hang (from the guestroom which I'm trying to make functional for several guests coming this month) to the back of it where there was some space. It was emotionally kind of hard because I have SO much crap in there - mostly various kinds of wrapping paper, gift bags, crepe paper, and ribbon - and I didn't have the time to really go through it and get rid of a lot of it, which I need to do. However, I was able to take a big bag of stuff to the recycling bin and also found a couple items to post on Buy Nothing. I always have to remind myself this is a three-steps-forward-and-two-steps-backward process, and that I've made a lot of progress in the last 8 years.

With that in mind, I decided I wanted to make a list of the spots in the house where there's still clutter that needs to be gone through so that I have a list of priorities for the rest of this batch of 40 hours and the next batch which I hope to complete in April through June:

1. Corner of the DR, including the blue boxes and the area around the file boxes
    2. Corner of my daughter's room near the record player
    3. Downstairs coat closet
    4. Area by the bay windows in the LR
    5. 2 boxes still in the upstairs hallway
    6. Guestroom closet - the boxes in there are neatly stacked, but I still want to see if there are things I'm storing in there that I can get rid of. I don't really remember what's there!

And then I have 3 big decorating/house maintenance projects

1. get curtains (and also blinds?) for LR and DR windows
    2. pick color to paint house and get it painted (!!!)
    3. replace storage shed and get new shed painted in same color as house
    4. get new front door to go with new exterior paint job (natural wood)
    5. get front and back yards landscaped and see what care the trees need

It's a lot, but it helps to have a list. For #'s 2-5, I have put some money aside! I know those things are going to be expensive.

New total: 28.

2 more hours today dealing with different hot spots and trying to get the guest room ready for guests. New total: 30.

I did 2 more hours on Saturday and 2 more on Sunday getting ready for guests. Our guest room is now functioning and really nice! I consider that an accomplishment that has directly grown out of the support I've gotten here for these batches of 40 hours. It was such an incredibly good feeling to have my nephew and his fiance show up and to feel proud of the space they were staying in, and they were so complimentary and appreciative. I'm almost 58 years old and am just now learning the joy of hosting people in your home. For years, I only panicked at the thought of people coming to visit because my clutter issues felt so insurmountable.

Their visit was also short (only one day and night!), ao a good trial run for the 2 longer visits from an out-of-town friend and my younger sister that are coming at the end of the month. I realized I need more pictures up on the walls, a lamp for the bedside table, an extra blanket to put at the foot of the bed, and either blinds or black-out curtains for the window (the current curtains let a lot of light in). I'll post a picture or video of the room when I've taken care of those finishing touches!

New total: 34.

That's great, EJ! Glad your efforts have paid off. Those finishing touches are the fun part.

Where do you all find the house plants? I had two but they both died while I was out dealing with the surgery and first couple rounds of chemo. They were the farthest thing from my mind at the time.

Have three sets of readers, a bunch of new butter spreaders that are unserrated, bunch of drawer pulls, silverware, two new cans of Edge gel that I have tried to give to 5 guys, with no luck. My pile is growing, but slowly as I am tired from work and go home and sort and clean. Getting there but slowly, still quicker then before the surgery when I would just sit and sleep.

Too much stuff, Wishing you continued progress and health. Baby steps work. Ask EJ who now has a functional and welcoming guest room. That is awesome to have a feeling of enjoying company, rather than feeling "less than" for it not being "ready". Bravo to you both. Here I have 5 grocery bags in the trunk of the care for Goodwill, and while I was out yesterday my husband culled 5 pairs of pants/jeans! A first for him in a LONG time!

Thread Information