Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 40 Hours Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method - Dec. 4, 2023 - Feb. 29, 2024

TooMuchStuff, it does sound like you are dealing with a LOT. Be kind to yourself. I buy houseplants at nurseries or Trader Joe's and I lose a few every year because I'm still figuring out a watering routine that works for me. But I replace the ones that die and try again.

And yes, nswef is right, I'm a believer in baby steps and "no shame, no blame." Do what you can when you can and don't beat yourself up about it when you have a setback. That's not just my opinion, either - research on building habits says not beating yourself up when you backslide is key. I've been decluttering my house for 8 years, and it's ten times better than it used to be, but there's still work to be done. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying my home more than I ever thought I would.

One other mantra that has kept me going is the reminder that it's sometimes "three steps forward, two steps back." When I'm doing these batches of 40 hours, I make progress, but when I get busy, sometimes clutter accumulates again. I'm still making progress overall because I'm building systems, determining where things should go, and getting much better at recycling junk mail and reducing the amount of things that come into the house, but I have to forgive myself when I have slips. It's going to be a lifelong process for me, but working on it as I have with the incredible support I've gotten here has dramatically improved my quality of life.

Rosarugosa, thanks, as always, for your encouragement, and yay, nswef, on getting all that stuff out the door!

I only feel bad because if I wasn't tired all the time last year, I would have been so much further ahead. I thought the tired was my give a sh***r going out from the incompetent owner saying he was going to do one thing, then not, or doing the opposite.
    In the last week, barring one day of full exhaustion, I have done MONTHS worth of work, by just doing a room at a time. Yes I do have some piles (paperwork I need to put in the file cabinet, that is currently too heavy for me to move into the house, and LOTS of bedding. (late coworker had weird ways of storing it, pulled all out, been laundering and getting tubs to put them under the bed, as she kept the sheets separatefrom the pillow cases for some reason).
    Turned the pantry, back into a pantry and put all my bath towels and her tons of cleaning towels in it (FULL). Going to build an above the toilet cabinet for medicine, etc, that she used the pantry for. (claimed she cleaned out the medicine cabinet when Steve died, she didn't realize there was actually a small medicine cabinet, with stuff that expired three years before Steve).

Laundry and kitchen are today's projects.

Wow, ToomuchStuff, it sounds like you are accomplishing a LOT! Congratulations!

That's a lot accomplished, ToomuchStuff - congrats!

The tools (and hence, the 1st closet) have been culled, put back into a new tool box, and put away. Now to start on the 2nd smaller closet. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Did more work this weekend. Mom wanted me to come over early, after work for a blue haired dinner out (4pm dinner), I need my hour nap after work before getting back on the house stuff.
    Been cleaning the kitchen and finally cleaned out the "junk drawer" which was "Angie's drawer", started to throw 99% of everything out, until I found and checked a gift card in there (she sometimes used them as plastic razor blades). Was unused from a local steak place, saving for my birthday.
    Getting a pile of stuff to donate, lots of trash,

On the other hand, I have been having more packages delivered (things to make life easier), shower wand and bar for days I am expecting to feel longer from side effects, EZ moves 4' slides (to move furniture around the house, when no help). Had some years back, loaned them out though, several times and eventually they were left in someones truck in the sun, which they don't like)
    So it feels like I am both decluttering, and future cluttering
    But I am trying to work smarter, and once I am done with stuff, I can sell, donate, move along, etc.

Future cluttering!! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Future cluttering!! Ha!

Not sure what else you would call getting tools to make life easier, since I don't know how long I will actually use them.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Not sure what else you would call getting tools to make life easier, since I don't know how long I will actually use them.
    Hopefully you won't need them for long, but if they make life easier while you are recovering, then they are a worthwhile investment!

Yes, anything that makes life easier is worth the space.

I learned about them years ago, when one man moved our 2000lbs mixer into the restaurant with them. I moved Derek Thomas's old stereo cabinet/armoire with them, that I am using as a pantry. Still have to move the bedroom dresser.
    They are 4' long by 6.5" wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information