Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dog is in trouble

My dog is in trouble

My dog has been labeled a dangerous dog by our condo association. The condo President called a few weeks ago to talk about Whiskey’s behavior. He asked us to put a muzzle on him. Whiskey had met a dog at the elevator door and got aggressive with that dog. There was another time when a new resident on the building, someone, I now consider an idiot, let his dog off leash to bound around the condo’s yard, and of course, that dog came up to Whiskey and Whiskey went after him.

No skin was broken in the altercations, but the owner of the first dog was scared, and I don’t blame her. I do not want her to be scared. She’s a young lady with some intellectual disability, but she lives in her little condo on her own with her little dog. I don’t want her life to be hassled.

My dog, Whiskey, is a jerk. He does not play well with others.. This is why he ended up in Bulldog rescue. This is why we had to give up a darling foster dog who I wanted to keep. Whiskey beat up on her. His behavior with her was unpredictable: sometimes he played with her. He often slept with her. They cuddled. And then he would turn around and beat her up. She did not one thing to invoke his anger, actually, she was very sophisticated in dealing with him.

so I’m having trouble finding a muzzle that fits a short nosed dog. I bought the one recommended by our bulldog leader, and it doesn’t work for him, he won’t wear it.

And as an added complication, I can no longer drop him off at the boarding facility near us because there’s a disease going around dog populations and it is not advisable for them to be boarded.

More on this later…
    I am not a serious person.

Oh, gee, that's a bummer. I'm sure you looked online, but it seems there are short-nosed bulldogs.

I don't know why, but this one makes me laugh--it is very "Hannibal Lechter":

https://www.amazon.com/Ohcozzy-Adjus...5f437380f&th=1

Here's another one for an English Bulldog. https://www.all-about-english-bulldo...dog-p-421.html

""
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Oh, gee, that's a bummer. I'm sure you looked online, but it seems there are short-nosed bulldogs.

Here's another one for an English Bulldog. https://www.all-about-english-bulldo...dog-p-421.html

""
    They ALL are scary Hannibal Lecter- like.

I think I’m going to attempt to sew one, one that he will wear that is soft, it’s only for show anyway. We’re not gonna let him get near any other dog, unless some asshole lets their dog run up to him off leash. That would be the asshole’s fault.

We took Whiskey to the dog park one time when we moved here thinking that we would give him one more chance to see how he could get along. He did not do well at all. However, he didn’t bite and fight, there was one other dog there who was super laid-back. Whiskey crawled all over him, wanting to dominate him. But no biting no attacking.

The laid-back dog, some sort of hound mix, just let Whiskey do whatever. We didn’t let that go on for long and even though the other dog’s mom was very nice saying “ oh that’s OK!” it wasn’t at all OK. Her dog was so sweet and ours was a dominating asshole.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-13-23 at 10:15am.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

""
    The 2nd one Is the one I’ve thought about buying as my second try, but I don’t think he would wear it. He’ll just shake it off and pull it off. I need to get him something soft that doesn’t bother him so much.

it’s all for show anyway.

Okay---could told ya so--after all, them Pitt bulldogs are a dangerous breed. Yup. What I'd suggest is dump that Dogg off in E. St Louis, and see a reputable breeder about a westhighland terrier. Yup. Prollem solved.

IL - I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I'm also concerned for you.

Disclaimer - not a lawyer, etc - but just yesterday my son's Chihuahua was attacked by the neighbor's dog, so we looked up the law (Florida). It SEEMS that regardless of what the victim dog does, the biter and their owner are liable. So if the idiot owner allows off leash romps (likely against ordinances) and prance's up to your dog and your dog takes a munch, they can get all.medical bills and even further compensation for the injuries. Just please be careful.

That said, there must be a way to train your dog to accept the muzzle. Can they still get little treats while wearing it? Off to look into those links for snubby nosed dog muzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    Okay---could told ya so--after all, them Pitt bulldogs are a dangerous breed. Yup. What I'd suggest is dump that Dogg off in E. St Louis, and see a reputable breeder about a westhighland terrier. Yup. Prollem solved.
    FYI her dog is a Bulldog, not a pit bull. Your comment wasn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The 2nd one Is the one I’ve thought about buying as my second try, but I don’t think he would wear it. He’ll just shake it off and pull it off. I need to get him something soft that doesn’t bother him so much.

it’s all for show anyway.
    I don't know if you are on FB, but there is a great page called " Muzzle Up Pup" . I covers trainiong them to accept one, how to size one for your type of dog... Its a got alot of good advice

Quote Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
    I don't know if you are on FB, but there is a great page called " Muzzle Up Pup" . I covers trainiong them to accept one, how to size one for your type of dog... Its a got alot of good advice
    I will check that out.. I have not muzzled a dog before and I’m stuck here on this issue.

This weekend we’re going to our condo, so I hired a dog sitter to come and take care of our dog rather than take him with us.

I never owned a dog and may be straying into heresy, but what do people think about medicating aggressive dogs? I know cats and dogs sometimes take psychoactive drugs for anxiety, but what about for aggression?

Thread Information