Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Too bad Colorado is not a border state!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I listened to the Supreme Court arguments and with their official final determination it was pretty obvious from their questioning that Trump will be on the Colorado ballot. I didn't detect any political favoritism by the justices, they were all skeptical if not hostile. It will be interesting to see how they wordsmith their conclusion, but I gather this is not a state right and that was the crux of the argument. They didn't get into the a discussion of what an insurrection is.
    I had the same impression; but CNN’s takeaway was that “Conservative Justices were seeking ways to side with Trump”.

Personal opinion is that this isn't a originalist interpretation of the Constitution, but a revisionist off ramp to avoid some sort of civil unrest and a broken cog in the voting process. It was hardly unexpected, but I'm surprised that the conservative justices resorted to such a liberal interpretation. But, I'm no expert of the matter. It not the last day in court for Trump.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Personal opinion is that this isn't a originalist interpretation of the Constitution, but a revisionist off ramp to avoid some sort of civil unrest and a broken cog in the voting process. It was hardly unexpected, but I'm surprised that the conservative justices resorted to such a liberal interpretation. But, I'm no expert of the matter. It not the last day in court for Trump.
    There seemed to be multiple arguments, including whether the office of president is covered at all, whether individual states can define “insurrection”, etc. Kagan and Jackson seemed to be among those raising issues.

A friend sent me a photo of his republican primary ballot. In Colorado if you declare as an independent they send a primary ballot for both parties, but you can only vote and return one or the other. Friend is about as blue as the sky, but his plan is to vote against Trump, i.e. Haley. Since he is most obviously not a conservative with any allegiance to the Republic party, I questioned whether it is deceptive and not the intention in the voting process, or if it's fair game in politics.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

A friend sent me a photo of his republican primary ballot. In Colorado if you declare as an independent they send a primary ballot for both parties, but you can only vote and return one or the other. Friend is about as blue as the sky, but his plan is to vote against Trump, i.e. Haley. Since he is most obviously not a conservative with any allegiance to the Republic party, I questioned whether it is deceptive and not the intention in the voting process, or if it's fair game in politics.
    I have been back and forth about this in my own mind, but have currently settled on this: it is ok to vote strategically to keep whoever you want off the ballot…

edited to add: even more so if you want to keep someone off the ballot in order to keep them out of office. I am less tolerant of supporting a stalking horse situation.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have been back and forth about this in my own mind, but have currently settled on this: it is ok to vote strategically to keep whoever you want off the ballot…
    Been there. Made the same decision.

Thread Information