Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Quit My (Very) Part-Time Job Today

I Quit My (Very) Part-Time Job Today

I woke up at 3:30 this morning tossing and turning with the recurring sciatica pain that had me down for almost a full week earlier in the month, complete with a trip to the ER, it was that bad. I had a lumbar injection last Friday and was feeling pretty good by Saturday but all that went out the window after working at the gallery on Sunday sitting on the crappy wooden chair with my not-so-good cushions. I was in a bit of pain on Xmas day, then returned to work yesterday for a 5 hour stint in which I got more sore and disgruntled about being a gallery-sitter with an uncomfortable chair. So when I woke up I lay there tossing and turning for a few hours wondering why the hell I am torturing myself for $12/hour (plus commissions when I sell something expensive) job and basically just came to the conclusion that I am NOT going to do it anymore!

I texted my boss (because that's how we do it) and profusely apologized for the abrupt resignation but I finally got it through my thick head that my health is way more important. This is what I said:

Good morning K-----

I’m sorry to spring this on you so suddenly, but after two days back at work it is clear to me that I need to take more time off and properly heal. Sitting for 7 hours is again becoming quite painful for me, yet I can’t stand for very long periods of time either. I have decided to take a few months off to really focus on my health for once and do everything I can to get out of this pain cycle and become productive once again. Thank you for everything, and again, I apologize for the rather abrupt notice.

I do feel a little guilty about springing this on her so suddenly, but we are about to go into the really slow season for a few months and I was only set to work two days a week plus fill-ins here and there. Sometimes there comes a point that you just have to do what you know you need to do, right then and there. I feel good about this decision. I am going to spend the next two months focusing on my health and well-being. I'm still dealing with the left arm/shoulder issue, and now this sciatica crap. It never ends with me anymore. I'm astounded at how much I've aged in the past five years. I'm kind of at my whit's end and needed to do something drastic in order to start this journey of healing.

Thanks to my frugal living in the past, I have some money saved up to help me through a few months of little to no income. My husband is supportive of my decision. He is making good money these days so it will all work out in the end. What I really need tonight is deep, full sleep, the likes I haven't really had in a few weeks...

I think you made a very good decision. Best wishes for better health in 2024!

Good choice. And what was her reaction?

It seems to me that is a great decision!

I agree--this chair business has gone on way too long, and good for you for standing up for your health!

Good of you! Take the time off to take care of yourself. Maybe a better opportunity will turn up for you in the meantime.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wishing you better health in the coming year! Take care of yourself, you're the only you you have, after all. And kudos for standing up for yourself! Not being permitted to use a comfortable chair that is helpful, instead of hurtful, is ridiculous. I get the form/function esthetic, especially in a gallery setting, but it should never be invoked at the expense of someone's well being!!
    Last edited by early morning; 12-28-23 at 1:07pm.

"Good choice. And what was her reaction?"

"O Man Sue, I'm sorry. WE are going away January 15-Feb 1st would you be able to fill in you think with a few weeks off or should we try to hire someone else?"

"I would like to think that I would be able to do that but at this point I just don't know how it's going to go, so I would say to cover the time you are away it's best to find someone else that can be a reliable replacement."

So, first of all, this was the first I'd heard they were going away for two weeks - I hadn't been asked to work extra or even if I had the availability to work extra those weeks. Then, say if I were took take the next two weeks off and started feeling better, worked extra to cover their time away, I would be right back to where I started from and having to spend out-of-pocket costs for more medical bills because I'll be in the new plan year. So none of it adds up for me to do this, and I stick by my decision.

Then she gave me the number for their chiropractor who they have raved about for a long time, but she doesn't take insurance and you have to send the bill to your own insurance, which means they won't cover it because she is out-of-network. Mind you, I really love these people in every way except for this issue. I guess I feel a little bit taken for granted at this point and finally had enough, for all my reasons mentioned. I don't wish them ill at all, and I hope they can find someone to replace me. To think all of this could have been alleviated by investing in something as simple as a ergonomically correct chair over a year ago!

Yikes!

I'm glad to hear you are taking care of yourself FIRST! And if they REALLY wanted you to work at all in the future, maybe mentioning to them that providing an ergonomic/more comfortable chair would definitely increase your consideration to return!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information