Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Quit My (Very) Part-Time Job Today

Oh, I did. I asked for one over a year ago and was shut down pretty quickly because it wouldn't fit with the gallery aesthetic. Not even a modern-looking black ergonomic office chair. I was really bummed out for awhile after that, because I thought the owner of the gallery and I were sort of friends. I couldn't understand how she could prioritize aesthetics over comfort. She suggested I get some sort of special pillow for the chair. So I made do with some pillows I had, and a lumbar roll pillow with a strap I could slip over the back. Mind you, the look of my odd pillows on that chair were way uglier than any sleek black office chair!

Don't look back. $12/hour is not enough to worry about their problems. You need to focus on your health, as you are. They may be nice enough people but they are also clueless.

Honestly, they sound a lot like my siblings. Some people use other people to get what they want, but they try to cover their selfishness with a veneer of charm. Insisting on the uncomfortable chair and putting their esthetics above your health--more than clueless, really, and seriously uncool.

I have a friend who has multiple injuries similar to yours and aggravated by her work. I've talked with her about retiring or at least scaling back her hours, but her lifestyle and liberal spending won't allow that. It's a good argument for living below a person's means and good you can afford to take some time off.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

That's what I keep going back to: it's only $12/hr! In the summer though I can make anywhere from $200 - $400 in commission on top of that just working three days a week but the gallery business is certainly fickle. This time of year starting a week after New Year's it get really, really slow until March and the thought of sitting there even just two days a week makes me want to cry out of boredom and pain, lol.

I'm just trying to keep it one day at a time and not worry about the money aspect. Silversmithing is still on hold but I have enough leftover work to get me through the next few months. I'm down to just two galleries where I show now. I could decide to start getting my Social Security but I am certainly not going to make that decision on the fly. I can buy myself some time, at any rate, before it comes to that.

SiouzQ, I'm glad you made the choice you did.

I understand that you already discussed a good chair with them, SiouzQ. I only meant maybe a follow-up discussion if they really wanted you back... maybe making a GOOD chair part of a return to work deal.

Still wishing you the best and hope that you are feeling better since quitting!.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Duplicate post. Don't know why. Oh, well. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information