Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Getting a New Kitchen!

I've been putting off a kitchen remodel for a while now and am jealous others. A variety of reasons, but the top of the list is just the inconvenience and having strangers in the house for some unknown time. Local radio the other day had an ad for "ice white" cabinets, saying a fresh shipment just arrived. Seems to be a new popular tend? They say it makes the kitchen looks larger, which I could use.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Rogar: Yes, white is popular right now, but I've been saving pictures of white kitchens for almost 40 years, so I am comfortable that we're not just following a trend. They've probably gone in and out of style more than once in that time!

The sheer inconvenience is definitely a consideration, and not just from the temporary lack of a functional kitchen. Our floorplan: you come into a front porch room, which then goes into the LR, then into the kitchen. You cannot bypass the kitchen to get to the rest of the house. Off the kitchen in one direction is the back porch/dining area, which is also where my desk is. Also off the kitchen is the bathroom, a very important room! Off the kitchen in another direction is the stairway up to our bedroom, and the entry to the cellar is also off the kitchen. During kitchen work, we contained the cats in the front porch/LR, and it turned out to be easiest to go outside to get around the kitchen to the back room. We've been fortunate to have decent weather while this has been going on. So there really is no place in the house where significant work would be more disruptive to the overall flow of our lives than the kitchen.

Puerto de Gato
    Our cellar doorway has always been left open for the cats to access the cellar and their litter boxes. It was not a very pretty view into the stairwell, which only starts to matter now that we're going to have a nice looking kitchen. I found this solution on Amazon and I love it, and the boys accepted it readily. The first picture is looking at it from the kitchen and the second picture is the back that you would see from the cellar stairway. DH said the day the carpenters installed it, he kept hearing "puerto de gato," which has a nice ring to it, so that's what we are calling it.

puerto de gato front.jpg
    puerto de gato rear.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Puerto de Gato
    Our cellar doorway has always been left open for the cats to access the cellar and their litter boxes. It was not a very pretty view into the stairwell, which only starts to matter now that we're going to have a nice looking kitchen. I found this solution on Amazon and I love it, and the boys accepted it readily. The first picture is looking at it from the kitchen and the second picture is the back that you would see from the cellar stairway. DH said the day the carpenters installed it, he kept hearing "puerto de gato," which has a nice ring to it, so that's what we are calling it.

puerto de gato front.jpg
    puerto de gato rear.jpg
    That is SO CUTE!! Perfect and so kitty-friendly!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have no words for the cuteness of the cat door!
    I am not a serious person.

One of my siblings has a cat door to the basement (sadly cat has died, but door is still there). Not as cute as that one, though!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That is adorable! Glad the cats like it!

Puerto de Gato

OMG. Love it

When we remodeled our bathroom 22 years ago, I coined two new words:
    "obsessorizing" - to obsess about accessories
    "excessories" - overabundance of accessories
    At the time, it was toothbrush holders and soap dishes. Now it is a matter of accessorizing the kitchen. I had purchased the doorknob set for the cellar door many years ago, and it is finally in place. It's rather art deco unlike anything else in the house, but I love it. We have the same set on our bathroom door.
    kitchen doorknob.jpg
    I had looked at hundreds and hundreds of lights online a few years ago. Oddly enough, DH and I decided we liked the looks of the cheap light that was in the kitchen ever since we moved here. We bought a new one for probably about $20, because the base of the old one was in bad shape. This light is our our kitchen now. To me, it feels rather iconic, and I think it relates to the feeling of the cabinet hardware.
    kitchen light.jpg
    Then, there was the major decision about light switch plates. I got these from Etsy. I really like them, although they're a bit modern. I'm hoping everything ultimately pulls together for an eclectic look:
    kitchen switch plate.jpg
    Finally, my sister requested that I get some action shots of Puerto de Gato, so here they are for your viewing pleasure:
    Puerto de gato Louie.jpg
    Puerto de gato Raymond.jpg
    We're supposed to get our counters and sink installed Monday, and I think the project will wrap up in the next week or so. More pictures will then be forthcoming!

OMG, I adore "obsessorizing" and "excessories"!! That's PERFECT.

I remember when DH and I demo'd our bathroom and redid it, I couldn't believe how many decisions had to be made for one little bathroom. You pick the sink and that's it, right? Nope. then you pick the faucet. You pick the finish color. You pick the mirror to go with it. As you said, even the switch plates are a way to obsessorize. We had to pick floors, floor finishes, wall color, ceiling color, moulding, towel bars, light fixture, towel cabinet, wall shelf. That doesn't even include the "easy" decisions that can be swapped out, like curtains, soap dish, hand wash vessel, rugs and towels. And you're like me--eclectic, so that multiples the possibilities.

I love all the pictures you posted, especially the puerto del gato in action!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information