Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Finally Getting a New Kitchen!

The counters are black granite with white streaks. It is honed granite, so they are not too shiny and sparkly.
    I hope Raymond does not learn to turn the water on!
    The curtain is from Target, and it only cost about $15.00. I found that a lot of what I've needed was available from Target online.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    The counters are black granite with white streaks. It is honed granite, so they are not too shiny and sparkly.
    I hope Raymond does not learn to turn the water on!
    The curtain is from Target, and it only cost about $15.00. I found that a lot of what I've needed was available from Target online.
    That is EXACTLY what I have for kitchen counters, even down to the ‘honed.’ I like the soft look of honed stone. I have that on the marble counter in my condo as well. It is nice for old houses.
    I am not a serious person.

Is the honed, also referred to as leather? Heard of countertops having a leather, or more mat finish.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Is the honed, also referred to as leather? Heard of countertops having a leather, or more mat finish.
    I don’t think so. Honed granite is smooth but not shiny.

The ‘leather’ look is rough, has dimples.

It's funny that I spent a bit of time reading about polished vs leathered vs honed, etc., but when it came down to it, the choice process was "we like this one."

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    It's funny that I spent a bit of time reading about polished vs leathered vs honed, etc., but when it came down to it, the choice process was "we like this one."
    Did you just read about them, or view them? All I have ever seen in person was polished. Honestly I am not sure if I would go stone or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Did you just read about them, or view them? All I have ever seen in person was polished. Honestly I am not sure if I would go stone or not.
    I lived with quartz in my last house and it’s very functional. I liked the look of it. To be honest, there are some where I couldn’t differentiate between solid stone and quartz countertops.

However—For me, I disliked the IDEA of quartz counters in this house. in this cottage type house things need to be natural. What I really wanted was wood countertops but that did not fly in several areas.

do not be me. Do not overthink it. Quartz countertops are very nice, they are functional and attractive.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-15-24 at 3:11pm.

Wood is a consideration, especially next to the stove (small sections of countertop that could possibly be done from sink cutouts). I have one long section of countertop, and am planning on an island with butcher block, so I am thinking I might just make all the countertops wood, eventually (formica now, still in fair shape). If I change the layout or something, I might do something different.

When we moved in here in VT, there was a small 20" range and then 2 ft of blank wall. We were able to find a stock cabinet at Lowes that matched the sink cabinet, so we bought that and painted it. I also bought a slab of maple from Home Depot and had our handyman cut it, add a backsplash, and voila! I like the look of the wood, and it's such a small space, it works much like a butcher block.

Now, also when we moved in, the sink counter was a hand-made assemblage of square stone tiles. While it's very "homespun", and cottagey it is very very hard to keep clean, so we will definitely replace it at some point. Not wood, being so close to water, but I'm not sure what. In NJ we put in quartz counters and I really liked them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

TMS: We viewed the actual slabs at a stone specialty wholesaler. It was an interesting process. We selected our slab, wholesaler notified our fabricator/installer, who purchased the slab on our behalf and then made and installed our countertops.
    I was strongly opposed to quartz because the men (mostly younger immigrants) involved in the processing of quartz are dying of silicosis. It's a fatal, incurable illness. Once I knew about it, I could not feel comfortable contributing to the problem just so I could have pretty countertops. I would have felt bad every time I looked at them.
    Here's one of many articles: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...age-california
    I do like the look of wooden butcherblock countertops.

Thread Information