Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Preps for 2024

That is a beautiful castle-like structure and location. What a great lookout.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I, um, must confess that I do not have my own bunker. I grew up in a time and place where we had fallout shelters/bunkers all over the neighborhood and the town. However, these days I believe safety in time of trouble comes from community, not from holing up in a bunker eating MREs.
    I agree. I am not much of a prepper... While not a churchgoer currently, I subscribe to Jesus's admonition to "Be not therefore anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." I believe my best assurance of protection against future evil will be my neighbors. DH and I are from NJ and never owned a gun (even though DH was a Marine sharpshooter). But my neighbors have a lot of them! As for basic needs, our communal skillset is very diverse. Because we all feel dependent upon each other, I am at peace with what the future will bring. Plus, I'm 71 and I'm not going to live forever so if some apocalypse comes, I'll be fine with bowing out.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'll wait to see how much rain we get in the spring. If it's a good winter I am not worried. Otherwise I'll be taking steps to prepare for wildfires like having go bags in both of our cars etc.

I once served on a county government task force to plan for “Y2K”. One of the members started bragging about his stockpile of supplies. Another member, representing our Sheriff’s Department, put his gun on the table and said “You’re only mistake was telling us about it”.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I once served on a county government task force to plan for “Y2K”. One of the members started bragging about his stockpile of supplies. Another member, representing our Sheriff’s Department, put his gun on the table and said “You’re only mistake was telling us about it”.
    I was in a county disaster planning meeting a few years back, as a representative of our Port District.

The County emergency management guy laid out his plan to confiscate the fuel supplies at the airport for his vehicles and such. I pointed out to him, as gently as I could, that Port Districts in this state are municipal governments with full police powers, and he had best ask nicely if he wanted to use our resources, but that any attempt to "confiscate" our fuel supplies would be....discouraged strongly.... in real time. Especially as we had air power.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I was in a county disaster planning meeting a few years back, as a representative of our Port District.

The County emergency management guy laid out his plan to confiscate the fuel supplies at the airport for his vehicles and such. I pointed out to him, as gently as I could, that Port Districts in this state are municipal governments with full police powers, and he had best ask nicely if he wanted to use our resources, but that any attempt to "confiscate" our fuel supplies would be....discouraged strongly.... in real time. Especially as we had air power.
    My understanding was that emergency powers rested with the various state governors. Although I suppose in the event of a total breakdown, we could see various municipalities setting up as local warlords or bandit gangs. The image of Sheriff’s Deputies being strafed by Cessna 172s is striking, although it’s hard to see most public employees being willing to stand and die. Especially in unionized organizations.

I suspect in a real Mad Max situation, most violence would be ad hoc and personal, with criminal gangs taking on the role of medieval barons.

Here is a pretty good list of things you may need in an emergency published on FB by a page I follow: Attainable Sustainable. I think it's pretty comprehensive. Any thoughts by you guys who are pretty well-prepared already?

https://www.attainable-sustainable.net/stockpile/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    I am involved in civic matters with fellow activists, including some Trumpers. If he takes over and imposes a dictatorship and starts killing his political rivals, I feel I will be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    My understanding was that emergency powers rested with the various state governors. Although I suppose in the event of a total breakdown, we could see various municipalities setting up as local warlords or bandit gangs. The image of Sheriff’s Deputies being strafed by Cessna 172s is striking, although it’s hard to see most public employees being willing to stand and die. Especially in unionized organizations.
    Well, we have a fair collection of warbirds sitting in hangers here. A couple of P51s, a Zero, a Skyraider, Mig-21 and F-89, T6F/T6D Texans, a T-34, a Stearman, a Skymaster, Birddog, and Grasshopper, and a few others I am forgetting. All properly defanged at the moment. No jet fuel on-island for the Mig and such, but that's life.

The Sheriff's department has two outboard-powered utility boats.

I think some people need to loosen the tin foil hat.

Thread Information