Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Preps for 2024

Emergency Preps for 2024

Anyone concerned that 2024 may be more precarious than 2023? If so, what are you doing in response.
    I've been invited to use someone else's land to grow on. Going to plant potatoes and field corn on this newly available plot.
    Planning on some security purchases, that I would not have in years past considered.

Field corn? For what purpose?

we have 1 acre and already grow truck farm levels of some edibles. We must have 30 winter squash stored down in our cool room. I have bags and bags of tomatoes in the freezer.

Have you grown potatoes before? They don’t do so well for us, we have too much clay. What’s the quality of your soil?
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-3-24 at 10:09am.
    I am not a serious person.

We already grow a lot of squashes and also potatoes. Tomatoes don't do well for us because it's cold here. Don't think we will do anything different this year.
    If I were worried about food, I'd probably try to do things like smoke fish or dehydrate fruits and lay in things like rice and oatmeal.

Field corn because I'm spending $80 every 6 weeks for organic feed for 16 chickens. Plus in bad times feed might not be available.
    Potatoes don't grow well in my clay soil either. Have to prep soil really well.

cx3, my prepper ex-physician grew potatoes in spoiled hay bales somehow. You might google it, if that would make your life easier, lol. I'm guessing your chickens eat all your veggie scraps etc - I'd be careful with the corn, it's a fairly empty-calorie chicken candy, in my experience. It's been a while since I've had chickens, but my kid's 4-H club had a lot of chicken projects, and I remember that. (Our chickens were mostly free-range - as in they had a pen, but seldom stayed there) YMMV :-)

I am likely already overprepared for most things one could reasonably prepare for.

And for the unreasonable things, well, there are at least 3 billionaire "apocalypse bunkers" on the island that I am aware of, and the billionaire owners don't live here, so that'll be interesting to observe.

I'm thinking I over estimated in the OP. Now that it's January, looks like $80 for 4 weeks not 6, as I just noticed the volume in my feed barrel.
    Field corn does well here in Indiana. However, its labor intensive getting the seeds off the cob, and the chickens don't digest it well.
    I prefer sunflowers, less labor and chickens digest better than corn. If I can just manage to get to the ripening heads before the birds do.Yes, my chickens free range and get our scraps.
    Bae that's interesting on those bunkers.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am likely already overprepared for most things one could reasonably prepare for.

And for the unreasonable things, well, there are at least 3 billionaire "apocalypse bunkers" on the island that I am aware of, and the billionaire owners don't live here, so that'll be interesting to observe.
    not to play one upmanship, But I will bet our family bunker is better than yours! Ha ha. DH’s Swiss cousin has a WWII bunker in the mountains.
    I am not a serious person.

I feel like of sort of "starting over" with preparations. We need to make some healthier eating changes, which means I need to work on the pantry. Not sure on a lot of things at this point, but definitely want to eat down a bunch of stuff.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    not to play one upmanship, But I will bet our family bunker is better than yours! Ha ha. DH’s Swiss cousin has a WWII bunker in the mountains.
    I, um, must confess that I do not have my own bunker. I grew up in a time and place where we had fallout shelters/bunkers all over the neighborhood and the town. However, these days I believe safety in time of trouble comes from community, not from holing up in a bunker eating MREs.

Sure, I've got some contingency plans and such in place for a Cold-War style nuclear exchange, but a bunker isn't necessary for that, here. In fact, a bunker would be counterproductive to surviving one of our more likely events - the Cascadia Fault earthquake that will happen sooner-or-later.

I live partway up the side of the tallest mountain for ~60 miles, on an island in the ocean. This old fire watch tower atop the summit of the mountain is about a 15-20 minute hike from my door, or a 10-15 minute drive, and I have the keys/combinations to the gates and such in the park it is located in. The tower figures prominently in my anti-zombie plan, and in the event of the collapse of mainland civilization I expect it to be in use by the locals :-)

I routinely use the location for emergency communications drills, and with equipment I can hand-carry up there, I have nearly state-wide reach.

Thread Information