Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your thoughts about the lottery?

Our lottery funds go towards parks, trails, open spaces. I don't really desire the extra money and the odds of winning seem very low. I'm not a fan of any sort of legal gambling and have seen a lot of people who look poor throwing money at the unlikely dream of winning. Since the funds go for a good cause, I'm not really against it, but it's not for me. Actually, beyond the basics of maintaining my lifestyle and future securities, I'd just as soon not have additional money themes of questionable value.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I'm also like jp on this one. I also belong to the group at work - the main reason being that IF they won, I would hate to be the only one having to return to work - LOL. I also enjoy scratch-offs but don't really win anything big on them, but they are fun. Favorite is the Bingo.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Maybe once a year I will buy one but mostly not interested. Our previous realtor always includes one in the Christmas card she sends us which is kind of fun.

Personally, I am not fond of lotteries or any form of gaming. The government agencies that benefit from them become addicted to the proceeds (schools, parks, etc). I had a wealthly Australian friend who had to travelled to the states 50+ times. After visiting our family he had business in Vegas. I asked him if he gambled and he said he worked too hard to gamble it away. When the Luxor first opened in Vegas many years ago, a Luxor employee told us it was built by Circus Circus' with "petty cash" (aka people's losses). I use to give out lottery tickets in gift cards, but decided I never knew who might have an addictive personality, and have since stopped doing that. My work is right next to a convenience store and I have stood behind too many people who don't "appear" to have much, buying lottery tickets. I agree with my late good Australian friend - I work too hard for my money to gamble it away.
    Last edited by Greg44; 1-6-24 at 8:23pm. Reason: wording

The government agencies that benefit from them become addicted to the proceeds (schools, parks, etc).
    In Ohio, lottery proceeds go to schools - that was the primary argument for setting up a state lottery to begin with - BUT an equal amount of money is taken away from the general fund schools budget, so there is no increase in money to the schools, only to the general Ohio moneys. THAT annoys me.

Personally, my thoughts on the lottery are that I'd like to win it. that said, we buy scratch-offs for ourselves and our 2 adult kids for Christmas fun ( $10 each, not exactly a break-the-bank- thing), and the random ticket when it's at some obscene level (last year we spent two dollars on this). So we're not big players or anything. I do the Publisher's Clearing house somethings, as it's free and simple (just say no to all the crap they sell). Personally, I'm not a gambler, I don't even like the stock market.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    In Ohio, lottery proceeds go to schools - that was the primary argument for setting up a state lottery to begin with - BUT an equal amount of money is taken away from the general fund schools budget, so there is no increase in money to the schools, only to the general Ohio moneys. THAT annoys me.
    Same in Missouri, and it was marketed in a way that people thought it was in addition to. However math education hasn't improved, or the general fund would be having to put more money in as people look at the odds.

Thread Information