Thread: rechargeable lithium AA and AAA batteries

rechargeable lithium AA and AAA batteries

We have an assortment of things that use AA and AAA batteries. A weather station and a few digital thermometers, noise cancelling headphones, a couple of analog clocks, wireless keyboards and mice, a headlight thing that straps on one's head for when working somewhere without much light, etc. In the past we've always just bought batteries in bulk. You can get them on amazon for like $.59/apiece. We're currently about out so I need to either buy more or make the transition to rechargeable.

Facebook keeps serving up ads suggesting rechargeable ones. Long ago I had some of the NiCad rechargeables and they were just OK. The D size ones for our cat feeder were the only ones that I thought were great and used long-term. They lasted for over a decade until our second previous cat passed away 3 1/2 years ago. At the time 5 of the original 8 still worked fine. I'm assuming that the new lithium rechargeables are way better and I'm wondering if I should buy a dozen plus a charger and start converting everything to them, adding more as needed when the remaining non-rechargeable batteries die. It would be nice to not have to deal with dead landfill batteries. Our trash company will recycle them in some fashion, so I've been dutifully keeping a box of them in the garage and one day will put them out. It would be nice to do that at such time that we'll never have another box of them.

Has anyone else tried these? How do you like them? What brand did you buy? Do they last as long as landfill batteries? Longer? I'm thinking of starting with 8 AAA and 8 AA batteries and one four battery charger that can charge both sizes. Then add more batteries as the landfill ones die and ultimately have a few extras so that we can swap them out from time to time to prevent any from every going completely dead since lithium batteries last longer if you don't fully discharge them.

A friend added a perspective I hadn’t considered. He suggested that I only switch to rechargeables on frequent change items like the noise cancelling headphones, beard trimmer, etc. and stick with landfill batteries for items where they last a year plus such as the weather station, clocks and our front door and garage door locks. The ROI of pricy rechargeables is literally over a decade for those while the others will pay for themselves in no time.

I think that seems logical.

That’s a good idea. I have gotten dive light batteries from BatteryJunction.com and it’s a well regarded source. You can never be quite sure about batteries on Amazon. Suggest you have a look on Battery Junction.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve had mixed luck with Amazon batteries too. Normally we get ours at Costco.

Thread Information