Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one deeply disappointed.....

I'm with the group that just doesn't get it. I, too, am sorry this is coming up, but - so she has a boyfriend? So he was married? So they went on a trip together? Is that illegal? Does that mean "oh, I caught you having an affair, so now I go free for my actual crime?" I guess it's good somebody is having a hearing on 2/15 to get this answered. I also hope the courts quickly hear and decide on Trump's claim of "I was president, so I get 100% immunity for any crime I committed". And if the courts and hearings say "okay, he gets 100% retroactive immunity" and "okay, we'll say Fanni Willis had a conflict of interest which appears improper, so we'll throw out this indictment" - then I guess we'll know we will never see justice, or even a trial, for the crimes for which Trump was indicted.

Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    "okay, we'll say Fanni Willis had a conflict of interest which appears improper, so we'll throw out this indictment" - then I guess we'll know we will never see justice, or even a trial, for the crimes for which Trump was indicted.
    No, it would get sent back down, typically for retrial.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    No, it would get sent back down, typically for retrial.
    Agreed regarding a retrial. I just worry that the Trump team will get mileage from folks on the fence regaring DJT playing the victim in a "political witch hunt" - this is why I am so down on Fani Willis suddenly. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Yea, she should have appointed someone else. Our democracy at stake and these people think their literal f*cking around is more important. Just the worst people to have any power.
    YES!!! This is exactly where I am coming from. I'm just....can't the United States find a non-problematic prosecution team to render DJT an unfortunate asterik in bizarre American political history/a well deserved incarcerated criminal for life? I had no idea how to explain this sorry situation to my Austrian relations - though their Sebastian Kurz was quite cringeworthy too, and not so long ago. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Appearance of impropriety. Not necessarily actual impropriety.

There have been other cases, such as a Judge and prosecutor/defense attorney that are related, that have been causes for possible bias and appealed. (some Steve Lehto videos on youtube might be good to watch)
    How could the prosecutor hiring an attorney cause impropriety? If she hired a competent attorney that does a good job that isn't impropriety. If she hired an incompetent attorney that does a bad job then trump benefits. I don't see any situation where her hiring her boyfriend, if she in fact did, has any way of making the trial go worse for trump.

One could make the argument that her hiring her boyfriend, if that's indeed what she did, was improper for any number of other good governance reasons but none of those reasons would seem to have any relevance to the trump trial. The attorney was hired as part of the prosecution of trump. Nothing that Ms. Willis can do will give him an undue power to change the results of that prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I’m still not understanding how them being in a relationship will harm trump at trial. Can someone please explain that to me? If anything it would seem to potentially benefit trump because maybe the guy was not the best choice of lawyer for the job.
    I'm more concerned it will harm the prosecution. Wade has little experience as a prosecutor and the county has already paid him about $654K, some of which, it's claimed, the couple spent on vacations together. Fani Willis seems to be saying she picked him because he'd been a "mentor" to her, and that she was facing - or believed she would face - difficulty in finding someone who would take on the job of special prosecutor.

Trump will have the best defenders he can buy in his corner. I want the best prosecutor money can buy on a case of this importance.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    How could the prosecutor hiring an attorney cause impropriety? If she hired a competent attorney that does a good job that isn't impropriety. If she hired an incompetent attorney that does a bad job then trump benefits.
    As I see it, it's basically an ethics issue. She hired her boyfriend as a contract employee to supervise a high profile case even though he had little to no experience in the types of charges she brought. She then benefited financially by receiving services from that contractor in the form of travel and entertainment, probably paid from taxpayer funds.

It's a terrible ethical conundrum which the state of Georgia must resolve but I don't see how it would impact the Grand Jury indictment against Trump other than perhaps having someone else oversee the prosecution.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    As I see it, it's basically an ethics issue. She hired her boyfriend as a contract employee to supervise a high profile case even though he had little to no experience in the types of charges she brought. She then benefited financially by receiving services from that contractor in the form of travel and entertainment, probably paid from taxpayer funds.

It's a terrible ethical conundrum which the state of Georgia must resolve but I don't see how it would impact the Grand Jury indictment against Trump other than perhaps having someone else oversee the prosecution.
    OMG. There's going to be a foot of snow on the ground in Phoenix tomorrow! I agree with everything you have posted here, Alan. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Just a side question.....your take is that the prosecution will continue, that Team Trump won't find a way around it due to Ms. Willis's seemingly unprofessional by far conduct? Rob

This sh*t isn’t even on my radar.

Thread Information