Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GOP Primaries

GOP Primaries

All news I've been reading says that if Haley couldn't pull a rabbit out of the hat in NH, it's pretty much clear sailing for Trump. The more I saw of Haley I was almost tempted to cross my party line. Unless one of the old relics goes before the main election, it's probably going to be another, hold your nose vote, for me. I suppose Trump has his legal hurdles. I've stopped trying to guess about the Trump phenomena, especially over a well spoken, intelligent, energetic young woman with plenty of experience in foreign affairs. That would seem like a good specialty skill these days.

Maybe it's not over yet?
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Yppej
    No Labels
    Robert F. Kennedy Jr
    Libertarian
    Dr. Jill Stein
    Cornel West

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    All news I've been reading says that if Haley couldn't pull a rabbit out of the hat in NH, it's pretty much clear sailing for Trump. The more I saw of Haley I was almost tempted to cross my party line. Unless one of the old relics goes before the main election, it's probably going to be another, hold your nose vote, for me. I suppose Trump has his legal hurdles. I've stopped trying to guess about the Trump phenomena, especially over a well spoken, intelligent, energetic young woman with plenty of experience in foreign affairs. That would seem like a good specialty skill these days.

Maybe it's not over yet?
    I suppose 52 counts as “young” in the current field. Trump was reported as seething over her failure to drop out of the race and kiss his ring. I would like to see her continue her campaign, even if only at idling speed to be ready if one of Trump’s indictments bears fruit. I also understand the SOTUS will hear oral arguments on the Colorado thing on 2/8.

it seems to me like Haley could have gained more ground by delving into more of Trump's legitimacy. I suppose there was a balance between how far to go before distancing possible votes, but confusing her with Pelosi was a big chunk in his armor. I've lost track of the timelines for Trump's criminal proceedings, but the Colorado ballot decision seems to be the most important. There are others.

I wonder if Tim Scott's swing of support was strategic in order to make him a possible VP choice?
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I suppose 52 counts as “young” in the current field. Trump was reported as seething over her failure to drop out of the race and kiss his ring. I would like to see her continue her campaign, even if only at idling speed to be ready if one of Trump’s indictments bears fruit. I also understand the SOTUS will hear oral arguments on the Colorado thing on 2/8.
    I agree. I like Nikki Haley. If I were Republican I'd definitely vote for her. I can't believe how Trump can simply phone in a campaign and win, even when he's phoning it in from a courthouse.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We certainly do live in fascinating times. I can remember when a politician raping a woman and that woman getting awarded over $80 million for being defamed by him made that politician unelectable forever more.

I guess that I, like LDAHL in the PDQ Bach thread, am having a ‘get off my lawn, ya damn kids’ moment. Because what could possibly be wrong with electing a rapey, defamey shitbag president?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Because what could possibly be wrong with electing a rapey, defamey shitbag president?
    This should be my new bumper sticker.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    It seems independent voters are ignored. As an independent if the choice was Haley or Biden, I would look very closely at what they have supported in the past, for Biden what executive orders written and so on. I struggle with the intrusion of govenment into women’s healthcare, lgbtq issues, deciding what books should be allowed in classrooms, drag queen shows and so on. Unfortunately actually passing bills to help with the healthcare and immigration mess by congress seems to be impossible, so whomever is president is going to be flapping in the breeze. The republicans need to get a grip on working with the far right crew and get stuff done.

Of course, here in Florida the line has been really crossed, but I think Haley seems to be way more towards the middle than Desantis and Trump from my cursory review. I imagine Haley might win a lot of votes from the anyone but Trump and anyone but Biden crowd.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    This should be my new bumper sticker.
    If I had a car, mine, too. Rob

It’s certainly shaping up to be an election nobody wants.

Thread Information