Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: GOP Primaries

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    A local news commentator floated the idea that the reason Haley is sticking it out in the primaries is that she is planning to run as a third party candidate. That seems unlikely, but does entertain the imagination with possibilities. It actually seems like Trump and his cult should be running as a third party, since he's not really GOP. Or at least what the GOP once was.
    I agree DJ Trump is not GOP. Maybe he’s the real RHINO.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-6-24 at 8:30am.
    I am not a serious person.

The California jungle primary system is particularly strange this cycle. Schiff spends a fortune attacking Garvey, and Porter calls it a cynical move to energize Garvey’s base and keep her out of the top two.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The California jungle primary system is particularly strange this cycle. Schiff spends a fortune attacking Garvey, and Porter calls it a cynical move to energize Garvey’s base and keep her out of the top two.
    She's not wrong. Garvey didn't start doing well until Schiff started attacking him. And it makes sense from his standpoint. If Garvey gets second place Schiff wins the general. I'd been waffling between Porter and Schiff but his actions made it easy to fill in the dot for Porter. But I'll be ok if Schiff becomes senator. Or even Lee. But I'd rather see the final contest be between Schiff and Porter or Schiff and Lee. Or Porter and Lee, so that we actually get to decide on policy issues and not a decision between Schiff and the maga party person who has zero chance of winning.

A local news commentator floated the idea that the reason Haley is sticking it out in the primaries is that she is planning to run as a third party candidate. That seems unlikely, but does entertain the imagination with possibilities. It actually seems like Trump and his cult should be running as a third party, since he's not really GOP. Or at least what the GOP once was.
    He certainly isn't what the GOP once was, but the GOP will never be that again. The GOP politician class is well aware that they can't put the Trump genie back in the bottle. They might have been able to if they had had the honor to do the right thing and convict him in the senate 3 years ago. Now it's too late. If they try to do it now they all get primaried and the party fractures even further than it already is and they will lose a lot of elections.

Vermont--what John King last night called "a quirky little state--was the only state last night to give Nikki Haley a win! I love it.

Alan, I know you think my voting for her was just gamesmanship, and not taking my responsibility as a voter seriously, but I beg to differ. Politics IS a serious game. I had to vote for Nikki to make a statement about my feelings about the prospect of Trump getting in, and to support a good, worthy candidate with the guts to stand up to him. John King also said late last night that this bright little orange blot on the field of red wins--was going to annoy Trump. Nikki, well done!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm sorry to see Nikki go. She was a bit of fresh air, at least relatively speaking. It's a mystery to me why she wasn't more popular, although there are a lot of things about the Trump phenomena that I don't get. I think she could have defused a lot of animosity in the country of elected, although I'll be voting a straight democratic ticket as ln as the GOP supports the Big Lie in it's various forms.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I'm still trying to understand how the United States ended out here. A vote for cognitive decline - and it's getting worse as evidenced by Sky News Australia, a conservative Australian network whose employees don't live in fear of health care as we do (Australia has socialized medicine) and who will post clips of Biden's cognitive decline that the US media won't.

Or, of course, a vote for an Authoritarian Dictatorship under the helm of an orange skinned leader with 91 felony counts, accumulated fines of 1/2 BILLION USD, and who takes great joy in spewing Hitlerian rhetoric. How DID we end out here? And what is the way out for the average US citizen? Rob

I'm sorry to see Nikki go. She was a bit of fresh air, at least relatively speaking. It's a mystery to me why she wasn't more popular, although there are a lot of things about the Trump phenomena that I don't get. I think she could have defused a lot of animosity in the country of elected, although I'll be voting a straight democratic ticket as ln as the GOP supports the Big Lie in it's various forms.
    and now Dean Phillips is out as well. Well, as usual, my political contributions make no difference.
    I am not a serious person.

Or, of course, a vote for an Authoritarian Dictatorship under the helm of an orange skinned leader with 91 felony counts, accumulated fines of 1/2 BILLION USD, and who takes great joy in spewing Hitlerian rhetoric.
    Trump seems to have as much, if not more, cognitive decline than Biden. Trump seems to keep referring to Biden as Obama (never mind referring to Nikki Halley as Nancy Pelosi). Does not know who is president, hmm Trump is not gonna pass the dementia test.
    Trees don't grow on money

I'm sorry to see Nikki go. She was a bit of fresh air, at least relatively speaking. It's a mystery to me why she wasn't more popular
    she kept running on things like cutting social security, the 3rd rail, so how popular did anyone expect her to be? But Republicans should prefer her to Trump? Well look I don't think she's as bad as Trump, but I don't even claim to know what is going on with Republicans The Trump cult is a cult.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information