Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading in 2024?

Just bought two new releases to celebrate the raise.

Love and Marriage in the Age of Jane Austen

Medieval Horizons: Why the Middle Ages Matter

These were my Feb reads:
    Local Woman Missing by Mary Kubica - this was a good page-turning thriller, if you were willing to suspend disbelief for a few improbabilities in the plot line.
    I Couldn't Love You More by Jillian Medoff - family drama about a blended family and an old college flame popping up, pretty decent read.
    The Sunne in Splendor by Sharon Kay Penman - this actually took me a few months to read while reading other books on the side (almost 1000 pages). It was a different take on Richard III, and the House of York vs. the House of Lancaster. I thought it was very good, and I was pondering how I have no interest at all in the modern British royalty, but a fair bit of interest in the royal families of the middle ages. I think if there were more abductions, poisonings, sword fights, and beheadings today, they would better hold my interest, lol. Kate Middleton's newest outfit just doesn't do it for me.
    The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni - I really, really liked this one, about a boy born with red eyes (ocular albinism), and how it impacted his life. The story had a lot of heart, and the author had a wry sense of humor I enjoyed.

The cap of my really bad couple of weeks (overworked, brothers sick, DD dog put down, etc. etc.)--I came down with a stomach virus yesterday. So I spent the day in bed, with earbuds on. In the morning I listened to a Tim Ferriss podcast. with Cal Newport and at night, I was really feeling like fiction for a change, so I downloaded Trust by Hernan Diaz.

I got to half-way through Chapter 2 before falling asleep. I'm thinking about seeing if the library has a copy because this is the kind of book that I'll enjoy more as a real book-reading experience. I'm not a big fan of audiobooks. So far, really good book.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Right now reading "Capote's Women" and have "...Sam Hell" on my next to read list.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    ...I downloaded Trust by Hernan Diaz.

I got to half-way through Chapter 2 before falling asleep. I'm thinking about seeing if the library has a copy because this is the kind of book that I'll enjoy more as a real book-reading experience. I'm not a big fan of audiobooks. So far, really good book.
    Excellent book. I did get a library copy and I couldn't put it down. He weaves different players involved in the 19th and early 20th century financial markets.... and the relationships they had with their wives.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

God Save Texas by Lawrence Wright. Having spent so many years living there and absorbing its self-obsessed culture, it is interesting to read about why it is the way it is.

okay----i got a used book, not at the lrererrry, but at the wreckin' yard. evidently, someone left a whole box o' books in a car that came in, so they put 'em up by the checkout counter, so the junkyard intellectuals could purchase them for $1 each. so anyway, most of them were the kind of books you find at walmart or on the clearance table somewhere, but one title sounded good enough to littlebittymee. but yeah----it was "With Justice For None" by Gerry Spence, high-profile trial lawyer. i'll let you kids know how i liked it, but i won't spoil it for you. thankk mee.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebittybobby View Post
    okay----i got a used book, not at the lrererrry, but at the wreckin' yard. evidently, someone left a whole box o' books in a car that came in, so they put 'em up by the checkout counter, so the junkyard intellectuals could purchase them for $1 each. so anyway, most of them were the kind of books you find at walmart or on the clearance table somewhere, but one title sounded good enough to littlebittymee. but yeah----it was "With Justice For None" by Gerry Spence, high-profile trial lawyer. i'll let you kids know how i liked it, but i won't spoil it for you. thankk mee.
    Good luck reading it since it will not be in all caps, with puntuation, speeeling, etc.

Don't think I will be finishing Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. I'm about 100 pages in and am not enjoying the it. I know it is well-written because I think the characters and circumstances arising are silly and I don't seem to have the patience to see/read about these silly people. LOL.

Moving on to Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I never could get into Jane Austen for those same reason Happy Stuff. Right now I am reading Unhoused by Barbara Kingsolver. I used to like her writing but Demon Copperhead soured me...needed an editor. This one jumps back and forth from modern to the past in the same house. Irritating. I'm going to quit as it is dreary as well. I think I'll re read Ramona the Brave, Anne of Green Gables and The Secret Garden. The world is too much with me right now.

Thread Information