Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading in 2024?

What are you reading in 2024?

Started Nights in Rodanthe - Nicholas Sparks yesterday. Easy read and will probably finish it today. Never saw the movie, but maybe will watch it if it comes on.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I’m reading through Christian Cameron’s “The Long War” series of novels about the Persian Wars. It’s told from the viewpoint of Arimnestos of Plataea, who may have been a primary source for Herodotus.

Currently reading NPCs (Spells, Swords, Stealth) by Drew Hayes

Four NPCs (Non Player Characters) are in a tavern when a group of adventurers arrive and promptly drop dead after a couple of rounds of mead. Lesson here is always listen to your DM when he says to reconsider eating the foraged wild mushrooms stew.

So once again the NPCs have to clean up the mess. They find something on one of their bodies that can endanger the entire town. So the NPSc tavern owner and half orc Grumph, merchant Thistle, Gabrielle, the Mayor's daughter, and Eric a town guardsman embark on a suicide mission with second hand equipment and third hand knowledge on how to be adventurers.

It's a fun read and I have to limit myself to 100 pages a day or I will stay up all night reading. It is a must read for LitRPG fans that wonder about the people who run the taverns, sell the weapons and armor, give the quests, and run the villages, towns, and cities that support the adventurers.

Yppej
    Up Home, autobiography of a sharecropper who later became president of Smith College

January 2024:
    Call Your Daughter Home by Deb Spera - a good read about family struggles/drama in the South in the 1920s.
    Shelter by Jung Yun - a poignant drama about an American Korean man and his family. It was well written, but pretty dismal.
    Her Last Affair by John Searles - mediocre thriller
    Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts - historical fiction about Frank Baum's wife. This book got absolute raves from my FB book group. I wasn't that crazy about it, but I did enjoy the later parts of the book more than the earlier parts.
    Last edited by rosarugosa; 2-4-24 at 5:52am.

Fiction - The Lost Wife by Susanna Moore about a pioneer woman who is captured by the Sioux
    Nonfiction - rereading Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals since it left an impression the first time I read it.

Currently reading "The Perfect Golden Circle," by Benjamin Myers. About two men who set out nightly in a decrepit camper van to traverse the fields of rural England in secret, forming crop circles in elaborate patterns. Public mystified.

Started "The Vaster Wilds," by Lauren Groff. I had such high hopes for it, but I could not get into it.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yppej
    I couldn’t get into The Vaster Wilds either but Idid finish The Lost Wife.

Just started Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. So far, very enjoyable.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I finished The Bird Hotel. It was a fast read, fiction and brought up what happens to a lovely, region when it becomes taken over by richer people then big businesses and exploitation...but written in a very entertaining story.

Thread Information