Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading in 2024?

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Don't think I will be finishing Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. I'm about 100 pages in and am not enjoying the it. I know it is well-written because I think the characters and circumstances arising are silly and I don't seem to have the patience to see/read about these silly people. LOL.

Moving on to Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding.
    if “Northanger Abbey “is the only Austen work you’ve read, you didn’t get her best work.

Her big three are “Emma “and “pride and prejudice “and “sense and sensibility. “

I love Jane. But if you don’t like the whole Austin vibe, then you probably won’t gain much from trying one of the big three.
    I am not a serious person.

Northanger Abbey is weird. And I say that as a massive Austen fan. Read P&P first. I love Persuasion, too.

Actually, I think this is my first attempt at Jane Austen - at least to the best of my recollection. I'm willing to give the others mentioned a try at some point in time. Thanks.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Good luck reading it since it will not be in all caps, with puntuation, speeeling, etc.
    okay----oohhh, hahahahahahahaaaa!!, you ARE too much! but yeah----i wish i had your wit & gift for comedy. so, anyway----it has capital letters and punction, but it won't stop littlebittymee from reading it. nope. hope that helps you some.

Count me as another who loves Jane.

These were my March reads:
    West with Giraffes by Lynda Rutledge - This was a pretty decent read, but I felt like it ripped off Water for Elephants, and that was a little bit off-putting. It was based on the true story of a pair of giraffes imported from Africa and being trucked across the country to the San Diego zoo during the Great Depression.
    The Nature of Fragile Things by Susan Meissner - A sappy, unrealistic story about some women married to a bigamist cad in San Francisco at the time of the great earthquake and fire. A lot of women in my FB book group love Susan Meissner. I am clearly not one of them, and have crossed another title by her off my list since she is definitely not my cup of tea.
    Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones - Coincidentally, another novel about a bigamist living dual lives with two different families. This one was very realistic, story line and characters were very believable. It didn't claim to be based on a true story, but it felt like it was. I've read another book by her and I think she's a good writer, although her stuff is a bit sad.
    Being Mortal by Atul Gawande - excellent non-fiction read about tough end-of-life choices and how our systems are so poorly equipped to help us handle them appropriately.
    The Music of Bees by Eileen Garvin - this was a rather delightful book, not the pinnacle of literary accomplishment, but an emotionally satisfying read that had a similar vibe to Remarkably Bright Creatures. It's about a beekeeper in a small town and the bonds she forms with a couple of 'misfit" young men, and their battle with the big, bad pesticide company. (You might enjoy this one NSWEF).

it took me five years to work through Being Mortal. I liked it a lot I just had to dip in and out of it.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-1-24 at 11:59am.
    I am not a serious person.

Thanks Rosa I'll order it. I finished The Rose Code WW2 historical fiction about Bletchley code breakers. The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert was hard to put down as well. Being Mortal sure made me think about making plans for death. (not that it is set yet!)

Finally finished Bridget Jones' Diary. Not too bad. Was getting a bit tedious in the middle, but was an okay ending. May need to watch the movie now/soon.

Not sure what I'm going to pick up. May try to get back into Les Miserables, which I started a long while ago, but never finished.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Has anyone read any of Jodi Picoult's books? I so rarely read fiction, but I'm tired of non-fiction lately, so I picked Small Great Things at the library, and I really enjoyed it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information