Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaos/rioting after presidential election?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Chaos/rioting after presidential election?

We were with friends last evening and the subject of the election came up when two women were discussing what they were stocking up on. Canned goods, life essentials like toilet paper and so on. I was shocked but they said it was a big thing going on.

After watching the coverage of the last riot where law enforcement battled the crowds without timely backup we were horrified. Especially after many of the rioters were convinced Trump would be on the other side of the door with our nations armed forces and take over the government. The web, chat rooms etc were full of misinformation and what will stop it if people decide to take matters in their own hands no matter who wins. They probably are groups making plans now because fear is a big motivation these days.

so are you preparing? One woman is taking shooting lessons and buying guns and ammo. This was the first I heard of this. I always try to prepare by having a backup of toothpaste, an assortment of canned goods because I live in hurricane country. But I guess much more could be interrupted

Haha. No. I’ve had firearms for more than a decade and have my concealed carry permit. Since the Covid disruptions, I tend to keep extra food and other household supplies on hand. I’m prepared for short power outages and such.

I have a couple of old hunting weapons I've considered decluttering, but will be hanging onto them just in case. I think rioting is highly unlikely but there could be special instances, like Trump loses and tries to claim victory again. The extreme right is unpredictable and has shown a tendency to violence, and that would be my primary concern. In my list of worries it's pretty far down the list.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I'm not much concerned about the possibility of chaos or violence as a result of the upcoming election, but that's because I live in an area of fairly rational people more imbued with a live and let live, all things will pass outlook on life.

With that said, I do expect there are many volatile areas in the US where the realization that years of governmental and societal attacks on free thought, expression and morality brings about another Trump term there's a very good chance of several years of emotionally charged civil instability. I suspect that in the long term, that may do some good as lessons are learned, the impact of cause and effect are highlighted and we become a more civil society.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

in general, I agree with Rogar. Will probably buy a few more boxes of shotgun shells, maybe some other ammo, honestly, I'm not sure what we have on hand. May buy a few more bottles/cans of white gas for my tiny camp stove. We generally have canned goods, dry goods, and meds fairly well stocked. I'm honestly more concerned with the Russia situation, but it's a tad late for us to plan to go off-grid, as we're closing in on 70. It's also too late to become a millionaire, allowing us more lee-way in where we live, unless Publisher's Clearing House comes through for us

No I am not “preparing “for riots and chaos upon the results of the November presidential election.

I *am* interested in watching those who said they would flee the country if Trump got elected actually leave. I don’t know who left last time around, but they were probably some. I may go off and Google that, see who actually moved their country of residence after the 2016 election.
    I am not a serious person.

I am not specially preparing for this particular event. I'm likely prepared for most of the worst-case unlikely paths, so I'm not particularly letting it occupy my peace.

I'm frankly more concerned, and actively preparing for, behaviour in my community directed towards some of our local elected officials who voted on a simple procedural business matter the other day ("let's have this existing employment contract reviewed by the attorneys, it seems a bit wonky) and are being treated with anger and rebellion and chain-of-command issues in the organization they serve.

Gives me much sympathy for all of those elected officials serving in small quiet roles across the country simply trying to do their jobs.

A majority of the people likely to cause chaos after the next election are currently in prison for chaos after the last election. So no, I’m not particularly worried.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I'm surprised things did not get more dicey last time around in 2020. I don't know what to expect in this Election Cycle and after January 6th, 2021 who knows where the lines are, what the "New Normal" is? I'm not going full prepper but I am stocking up a bit on canned goods - who knows what is going to happen next at this point? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    No I am not “preparing “for riots and chaos upon the results of the November presidential election.

I *am* interested in watching those who said they would flee the country if Trump got elected actually leave. I don’t know who left last time around, but they were probably some. I may go off and Google that, see who actually moved their country of residence after the 2016 election.
    The real question is: will whatever country those people want to flee to allow them in? I know a lot said they wanted to move to Canada.

Thread Information