Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Next to Last Renovation project for our house

So I saved our contractor hours of aggravation today. (and myself probably hundreds of dollars of money paying them for the time to figure out a problem). He was installing a light fixture in the upstairs hall next to my office. When he turned the breaker back on after he'd finished nothing happened. His assistant was downstairs so contractor proceeded to flip all the breakers off and on in the breaker panel in the master bedroom upstairs on the other side of the hall from my office while contractor watched the hall lights to see if he was trying the wrong breaker. Still no power. Then his assistant commented that the downstairs bathroom was also dark. I was only half paying attention, mainly after my office went dark and the internet stopped working because the internet modem was now rebooting from the breaker affecting it getting turned off and on. I asked what was up and when he explained I said "Oh, it's probably the GFCI in the downstairs bathroom." Contractor was like "um, ok, we can try that..." and called down to his assistant to check it. That fixed it. Contractor sheepishly admitted that he would've never thought of that because current code is that GFCI outlets are supposed to be the only thing on an individual circuit. (you can have multiple bathrooms on one, but you can't include other lights on them so that you don't have a GFCI trip leaving the room dark.)

Thankfully we didn't need a permit for this project since no electric was being changed. If we had he'd now have to recircuit the downstairs bathroom GFCI onto the compliant GFCI in the upstairs hall bath, which got corrected when he did the reno of that room a year ago. A change like this could easily add several $1000 or more to this job because more walls would need to be broken open and then repaired, repainted, etc. That change for the upstairs bathroom last year was easy because all the walls were already opened up so it was just a minor step in a big project.

It's shear luck that I knew this quirk about the electric in our house. About a month ago the light switch in the downstairs bathroom broke so I had to replace it. To kill the power to it I tried hitting the GFCI switch on the outlet rather than have to figure out which circuit on the panel would kill the electricity to the switch and also since it was right there, not all the way upstairs in the bedroom. That had worked, making the repair of changing out the broken switch easy. I hadn't known that the circuit also included the upstairs hall light but it made sense since today the downstairs bathroom was also dead.

OK, that’s sorta funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    OK, that’s sorta funny!
    Yeah it is. Although it's also got me thinking about risk management from my contractor's POV. I may actually turn this into a teachable moment for him. He's fairly young (early 30's) and just getting started as a GC. If we had pulled permits for this project and we now had to spend a ton of money to fix the layout of the circuits to meet current electric code I'd be a very angry customer. He can be forgiven in this specific situation since we don't have to fix it since there's no permit that has to be inspected and cleared. But if there was then he'd be in an awkward situation. From my perspective as an insurance underwriter he should be looking for worst case, or at least bad case, scenarios. One of those (probably very common) is that the GFCI circuit isn't compliant and needs to be fixed. I'm sure there are others but I'm not a contractor so I don't know what those might be. He needs to be looking for common issues like that (apparently old houses didn't have to have clean GFCI circuits but now they do). I haven't decided whether to have a conversation about this with him tomorrow but I'm leaning towards that I should because I really like the guy. He does good work and I want him to be a success. Making clear that I'm not upset but that I'm just wanting to help him not walk into a trap where he'll be on the hook for potentially thousands of dollars of rework of a nearly finished project as he would have been if we had pulled a permit and needed to clear it when the project was finished.

So everything is done but the last coat of paint. The first picture is the hall cabinet next to the bathroom. For now we're just going to reuse the painted wood slab doors that were on them before. Eventually we'll purchase two modern cabinet style doors. of equal size. The wall between the two is load bearing so it was non-negotiable. The result being that the left side space is 1/2 inch wider than the right side. The openings in the frames is 1 3/4" different. We can fix that when we get new modern doors and the fact that those doors are slightly off center won't be noticeable to the casual observer. At some point when the people after us live here they will probably try to move a shelf from one side to the other and realize that that isn't possible since they are 1/2" different and wonder "what were they thinking?"

SO spoke with the cabinet people about the bathroom cabinet today (to go where picture 3 is, next to the washer/dryer. Ultimately he decided that instead of a full floor to ceiling cabinet for $5,000 we need a counter height cabinet and floating shelves above it. We can get one from Living Spaces to match the vanity (picture 2) except with a butcher block top for $700.

hall cabinet.jpg
    bathroom vanity.jpg
    new bathroom cabinet space.jpg

The counter height cabinet and floating shelves sounds like a good and much more economical decision!

That is quite a significant savings, JP!

Don't know what you need a cabinet there for, I would put some shelves and separate the laundry baskets with them down low, detergent and such at a convenient level.

The cabinet is going to be for the laundry hampers. And a counter to fold stuff. The shelves I’ll hold detergent and clean hand towels and such. Since it’s our public bathroom we want it to look presentable. Before this the laundry machines sat side by side with stuff like detergent piled randomly on them. It just didn’t look nice.

The countertop and floating shelves are going to be butcher block.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The cabinet is going to be for the laundry hampers. And a counter to fold stuff. The shelves I’ll hold detergent and clean hand towels and such. Since it’s our public bathroom we want it to look presentable. Before this the laundry machines sat side by side with stuff like detergent piled randomly on them. It just didn’t look nice.

The countertop and floating shelves are going to be butcher block.
    It looks like the shelves will be a wide enough workspace for folding laundry with a cat helper.

This morning I watched DH fold his laundry while William Bill insisted on helping/head butting. The cats must be accommodated in these renovation projects.
    I am not a serious person.

Yes. Cats are always good helpers. And ours, although shy, have decided that contractor is ok. They routinely supervise him to make sure he’s doing everything correctly.

Thread Information