Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How old of a used car?

How old of a used car?

I’m doing some research a good bit in advance.

I have a 2018 Escape with 118K miles. Apparently it’s not uncommon for Escapes of this vintage to have engine issues around 75K-100K, but I’m well past that. I’m hoping it can hold off a couple more years.

I want to replace it with a Subaru Outback. New ones with the heated seats I want are about $35K. Used ones that are 3-4 years with maybe 30K on them are about $25K. Those are all models with the winter package/heated seats, plus Apple Car Play. These two things are non-negotiable. These are all models at local dealerships.

I’ve never even considered a used car before. Always bought new. I drive a LOT during dive season, plus 2500 miles on my annual trips to FL. I can easily drive 200-300 miles over a weekend in the summer.

Given how much I drive, how old of a used car would you consider? I also want more updated safety features, so that means a newer model would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I’m doing some research a good bit in advance.

I have a 2018 Escape with 118K miles. Apparently it’s not uncommon for Escapes of this vintage to have engine issues around 75K-100K, but I’m well past that. I’m hoping it can hold off a couple more years.

I want to replace it with a Subaru Outback. New ones with the heated seats I want are about $35K. Used ones that are 3-4 years with maybe 30K on them are about $25K. Those are all models with the winter package/heated seats, plus Apple Car Play. These two things are non-negotiable. These are all models at local dealerships.

I’ve never even considered a used car before. Always bought new. I drive a LOT during dive season, plus 2500 miles on my annual trips to FL. I can easily drive 200-300 miles over a weekend in the summer.

Given how much I drive, how old of a used car would you consider? I also want more updated safety features, so that means a newer model would be better.
    We drive as much as you do and bought a 2016 Subaru Forester this spring--we have heated seats but not Apple Car Play--is that something the dealer can add for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    We drive as much as you do and bought a 2016 Subaru Forester this spring--we have heated seats but not Apple Car Play--is that something the dealer can add for you?
    What was the mileage on the car when you bought it?

What sort of display did you car have? Big screen or some little one? Sometimes it can be added later, but sometimes it takes a ton of reworking the dash, which would have had to be done with my Escape, as I just had a wee little screen for radio/phone calls. Not made to show nav or anything like that.

I had a 2008 Escape Hybrid which I drove without major problems for 197,000 miles. I was planning on keeping it till I hit 200,000 but decided against it when the brakes and rotors needed replacing. I know Ford made some changes to that model between 2008 and 2018 but if the later model was as good as the earlier one, I'd hold off replacing for quite some time.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Just out of curiosity Tradd, why are heated seats a must? Do they help with back pain or something? I know you've always said you run hot. I tend to run cold and don't particularly like heated seats, so as I said, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Just out of curiosity Tradd, why are heated seats a must? Do they help with back pain or something? I know you've always said you run hot. I tend to run cold and don't particularly like heated seats, so as I said, just curious.
    They help my sciatica immensely. Had them in my old focus.

Heated seats are just a luxury that I wanted in my new car. Red car, heated seats, and Honda brand. I am pretty easy to please. Friends have a high end BMW with heated and air conditioned seats. Now that is over the top for me.

Oh, we did not choose this but the navigation is also controlled by voice so I can make changes while driving alone. NICE.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I had a 2008 Escape Hybrid which I drove without major problems for 197,000 miles. I was planning on keeping it till I hit 200,000 but decided against it when the brakes and rotors needed replacing. I know Ford made some changes to that model between 2008 and 2018 but if the later model was as good as the earlier one, I'd hold off replacing for quite some time.
    Things changed NOT for the good beginning in 2015-2016, from what I’ve been told.

I do a two day drive to FL each way and other long trips. I don’t want to end up stuck with a breakdown.

I'm the reverse, I've never owned a new car.

But the used car market lately has been pretty messed up with used cars costing as much or more than new. So buying right now, used doesn't seem such a good deal anymore. But saving 10k as you mentioned, for 3-4 years and 30k mileage (that's very low mileage) well that's significant, so even if the used market is messed up in general, those seem like not bad deals. So I'd probably go with used if it were me, though I don't drive as much.
    Trees don't grow on money

What was the mileage on the car when you bought it?

What sort of display did you car have? Big screen or some little one? Sometimes it can be added later, but sometimes it takes a ton of reworking the dash, which would have had to be done with my Escape, as I just had a wee little screen for radio/phone calls. Not made to show nav or anything like that.
    I think it had around a hundred? We paid 15000 because that's as high as we could go because we wanted to pay cash.

It has the big display screen.

Thread Information