Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joy is Illinois!

The impression I got is that the ruling says just one state should not have the power to determine the outcome of a national election. Practically speaking it may make sense, but it's not what the constitution says. At least how the Colorado courts and I would read it. I imagine one could ask, how many states does it take. How does the 14th amendment actually work in national elections that would prevent insurrectionists from taking office. Leaving this up to the senate is sort of like the fox in charge of the hen house. Disappointing, but not a surprise.

If I get the news right, the next big legal challenge for Trump is the presidential immunity case. It looks like Trump is using his typical delay tactics and denying the public of a speedy trial.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And yet you voted for the fellow who supported and assisted trump’s effort to overthrow the government for senate. And proudly proclaimed this to us. Are we really supposed to take you seriously at this point? Because I don’t.
    I’ll just have to live with the indelible shame of your disapproval. On the plus side, the country has been spared a Senator Mandela Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’ll just have to live with the indelible shame of your disapproval. On the plus side, the country has been spared a Senator Mandela Barnes.
    On the other plus side Wisconsin appears to be headed to much fairer districts so that voters will actually have a more accurate representation of their interests rather than tyranny of the minority. That, combined with global warming, could open up a new potential retirement destination for me and SO. I've long thought a college town might be a great place to retire. Madison might fit that bill nicely.

On the other plus side Wisconsin appears to be headed to much fairer districts so that voters will actually have a more accurate representation of their interests rather than tyranny of the minority. That, combined with global warming, could open up a new potential retirement destination for me and SO. I've long thought a college town might be a great place to retire. Madison might fit that bill nicely.
    I went to Madison recently to judge Iris show. I always figured I would like Madison, since it was a Midwestern College town. I actually thought it was ugly and down in the dumps. And then, the downtown was insane because it has squirrelly non-straight streets. The locals explained this was because it was between two rivers or some such thing. Excuses, excuses, excuses, haha.

global warming isn’t gonna warm it up enough for you. if you’re vaguely entertaining snow country, Iowa City is much nicer as is Lawrence, Kansas, and they are a gardening zone or two warmer than Madison.

But reallyLas Cruces New Mexico is what you should zone in on because the culture there is pretty interesting. The town is spread out but it’s easy to get around within a few minutes. for me, I find the desert surrounding it horribly depressing, but I don’t think that bothers you.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Ah well, I find your presence worthwhile and your comments entertaining as you well know, so there we are. You win some, you lose some,

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I went to Madison last year to judge Iris show. I always figured I would like Madison, since it was a Midwestern College town. I actually thought it was ugly and down in the dumps. And then, the downtown was insane because it had squirrelly non-straight streets. The locals explained this was because it was between two rivers or some such thing. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
    Madison is built on an isthmus. It’s between Lakes Mendota and Monona. How can you think Madison is down in the dumps and ugly? I’m there a lot on the west side. Spring Harbor neighborhood, near Middleton. Reminds me a lot of Ann Arbor. I went to college at Ypsilanti, next to AA.

The multiple thousand year old canoes my diving instructor found were in Lake Mendota.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Madison is built on an isthmus. It’s between Lakes Mendota and Monona. How can you think Madison is down in the dumps and ugly? I’m there a lot on the west side. Spring Harbor neighborhood, near Middleton. Reminds me a lot of Ann Arbor. I went to college at Ypsilanti, next to AA.

The multiple thousand year old canoes my diving instructor found were in Lake Mendota.
    maybe I just happened to be driving in the parts of Madison that were rather run down.oh, it is between lakes, not rivers.

I was surprised because usually Midwest College towns have upscale nice areas. I probably just missed those parts. The botanical garden I went to was in a neighborhood that was OK. It had old houses, but it did not look terrifically upscale to me.

I went to Madison recently to judge Iris show. I always figured I would like Madison, since it was a Midwestern College town. I actually thought it was ugly and down in the dumps. And then, the downtown was insane because it has squirrelly non-straight streets. The locals explained this was because it was between two rivers or some such thing. Excuses, excuses, excuses, haha.

global warming isn’t gonna warm it up enough for you. if you’re vaguely entertaining snow country, Iowa City is much nicer as is Lawrence, Kansas, and they are a gardening zone or two warmer than Madison.

But reallyLas Cruces New Mexico is what you should zone in on because the culture there is pretty interesting. The town is spread out but it’s easy to get around within a few minutes. for me, I find the desert surrounding it horribly depressing, but I don’t think that bothers you.
    Interesting that you mention las cruces. That’s actually on my list of places I want to check out. Possibly because you’ve mentioned it before? I can’t imagine who else in my circle of influence would have mentioned it. The only other person I know from/in/ever lived in NM is a friend from high school who now lives in Albuquerque and I don’t think she’s ever mentioned las cruces to me.

Interesting that you mention las cruces. That’s actually on my list of places I want to check out. Possibly because you’ve mentioned it before? I can’t imagine who else in my circle of influence would have mentioned it. The only other person I know from/in/ever lived in NM is a friend from high school who now lives in Albuquerque and I don’t think she’s ever mentioned las cruces to me.
    Yes we’ve talked about Las Cruces. It is more country-fied than Albuquerque. Las Cruces clings to its “ We are laid-back casual people “ persona. there are hiking opportunities nearby in the Organ mountains.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-6-24 at 9:44am.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

The last time I took PTO - right before getting promoted - SO and I went to El Paso and Las Cruces. We both liked Las Cruces and New Mexico is a fairly liberal state. I've always found this interesting - that New Mexico is one of the poorest states but still manages to live and let live for the majority of it's residents. El Paso we both didn't like quite as much as Las Cruces, but it is amazing how it's one of the safest US cities and it's right there on the border. Rob

Thread Information