Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joy is Illinois!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Joy is Illinois!

A judge in Illinois just ruled that due to Donald Trump's insurrectioinist behavior, he will not be appearing on Illinois Primary ballots. We all owe a debt to
    Illinois for adding to Donald Trump's many troubles. Rob

I've never seen such powerful elements of the Democratic Party work so hard to get their opponent elected. I hope everyone who promotes, encourages or applauds these actions realize they'll have to live with their culpability for the next 4 years.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've never seen such powerful elements of the Democratic Party work so hard to get their opponent elected. I hope everyone who promotes, encourages or applauds these actions realize they'll have to live with their culpability for the next 4 years.
    The culpability of preventing a fraudy lying grifting shitbag of a human being from becoming president again? Only serious trumphumpers care about the efforts to prevent that shitbag from being reelelected. And maybe LDAHL since he seems to live in a weird cloister that doesn't acknowledge that non republicans exist.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The culpability of preventing a fraudy lying grifting shitbag of a human being from becoming president again? Only serious trumphumpers care about the efforts to prevent that shitbag from being reelelected. And maybe LDAHL since he seems to live in a weird cloister that doesn't acknowledge that non republicans exist.
    Yes. I’m trapped in a bizarre alternate reality where not wanting to vote for a bastard doesn’t create a categorical imperative for me to support a dotard. I don’t even believe the media are in the tank for Trump and biased against poor Joe, amplifying every little confused statement he makes. I’m also sort of a stickler as to whether the end of preventing people I dislike from running justifies any means I or a Cook County Circuit judge can think of to “save our democracy”.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Yes. I’m trapped in a bizarre alternate reality where not wanting to vote for a bastard doesn’t create a categorical imperative for me to support a dotard. I don’t even believe the media are in the tank for Trump and biased against poor Joe, amplifying every little confused statement he makes. I’m also sort of a stickler as to whether the end of preventing people I dislike from running justifies any means I or a Cook County Circuit judge can think of to “save our democracy”.
    And yet you voted for the fellow who supported and assisted trump’s effort to overthrow the government for senate. And proudly proclaimed this to us. Are we really supposed to take you seriously at this point? Because I don’t.

Update. It seems this joy was short lived. The Supreme Court just ruled that DJT will be appearing on the ballots in Maine, Colorado, and Illinois after all. It does seem as if we are moving one step closer towards dictatorship at this point. Silver lining? I also believe that this decision brings us a baby step closer to splitting up as a nation. Rob

I think it's the exact opposite of becoming closer to a dictatorship since it prevents any private or public entities (outside of Congress) from determining who can block the majority of citizens from choosing who they want to represent them on a federal level.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it's the exact opposite of becoming closer to a dictatorship since it prevents any private or public entities (outside of Congress) from determining who can block the majority of citizens from choosing who they want to represent them on a federal level.
    Don't drop dead of shock, Alan. In theory, but theory only, I agree with you.

There are two huge blocks for me that work against my agreeing with you in any other way than theory. One is January 6th, 2021, and the need to hold DJT accountable for his actions that day. Even more than that, given my Austrian background and Austria's involvement in the Holocaust, I find DJT's recent authoritarian threats nothing other than terrifying and I'm not pulling drama here. His recent threats do cause me terror as they are the same kinds of threats Austrians heard in 1938.....do we humans never learn anything except for possibly a few people like me who could care less what anyone thinks of them?

At any rate, there is an upside. If DJT gets into office the United States a. Will never be the same again, b. Will loose what little respect and goodwill exists for it in the world today, and c. Will likely break up at some future point, which is probably good for us all in the long run. Rob

These are primary ballots, right?

So that private political organizations can pick their candidate for the real election to come?

As far as I'm concerned, they could pick a name out of a hat. I find no mention of the Democratic or Republican Parties in the Constitution.

The time to consider removing someone from the ballot might better be when they are running for an actual constitutional office in the actual election.

This business has just been foolishness through-and-through.

Maybe I’m misreading but it seems like today’s Supreme Court decision challenges jack smith to charge trump with insurrection. If he does and the trial ends in a guilty verdict before 1/20/25 then it would take a 2/3 act of congress to overturn that and make him eligible to be inaugurated as president. (Which isn’t going to happen if that chain of events occur. Instead chaos would ensue).

Thread Information