Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osteoporosis Your Views

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

Osteoporosis Your Views

Hi folks, just had a DEXA scan and diagnosed with osteoporosis (2.8 measurement).

I've read of some nasty side effects from treatment meds. If they are even effective? Read that 90% of women over 80 have osteoporosis...so it's often from attaining an older age?

Has anyone opted out of prescribed meds and plans to continue a healthy lifestyle of good nutrition, weight-bearing exercise and supplements?

Would welcome your views...
    peaceful, easy feeling

I have severe osteo in my mom’s side of the family. When she broke hip #2 her surgeon said her bones were one of the worst in his recent practice. Her brother had it so you know the gene is bad if men have it. My mother took that medication.

i am overweight so everyday of my life I do weight bearing exercise. It is true! That combats osteo,

I haven’t had the test because I doubt very much I would treat it anyway..
    I am not a serious person.

I had a bone density test at 35. Doc said I had the bone density of a 21 year old. I’m overweight so like Iris I get weight bearing exercise daily. I’ve also always loved milk and yogurt.

I had the test then as I was going to go on endometriosis treatment that put you in chemical menopause for six months.

Thanks Iris Lillies. Agree with you!

I only had the scan 'cause my doctor kept bugging me...and I was a bit curious, too. I'm with you, not taking the meds. I've had enough negative side effects from the prescribed meds for high blood pressure to make me leery of trying new ones that from what I've read, are not always successful in effecting bone changes...and can have some pretty drastic side effects, too.
    peaceful, easy feeling

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis probably 15 years ago--most recently about 3 years go. My T-score then in my lower spine was 3.0. I have not opted for medication. I do some weight-bearing exercise. I should probably be more concerned about it than I am. The ironic thing is, before Fosamax lost its patent I did a ton of patient research on it for Merck. I was in my late 40s at the time interviewing patients that are about my age now, and it was really interesting to hear them talk about why they would/wouldn't ask their doctor for it. You'd think that because I worked on the drug for a couple of years I'd be all about taking it but I'm not. That particular drug is a pain to take. I might consider one of the long-lasting injections like Reclast. I'll be getting another bone density test probably this year, so we'll see if I've gotten worse. If so, I might consider treatment. My aunt, whom I resemble, had osteoporosis and it caused her pain when she got to be in her late 70s/80s. I'd like to avoid that if I could.
    Last edited by catherine; 3-1-24 at 9:58am.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was diagnosed with osteopenia in my spine two years ago which was shocking for me. I was already doing weight lifting and walking an hour a day. The hips were fine though. I've been taking calcium/vitamin d since and hope to talk my provider into another scan this year to see if its enough. My mom has lost at least 6 inches in height and can't stand straight up anymore. I'd like to avoid that as long as I can.

I was first diagnosed well over a decade ago, pretty young age, actually. I take once weekly Alendronate. No side effects that I am noticing. Just got notified that I'll be scheduled for another Dexa scan, so I'll find out then how things are going. Seems to run in my family as several siblings have also been diagnosed and, I believe, those are on the once weekly meds as well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

When I broke my hip at 70 by TRIPPING and landing on the cement garage floor, the surgeon said my hip should NOT have broken from that fall. (I weighed 220 lb. so landing on the cement floor at a high speed walk would have broken any bones...) Anyhow, I had the dexa and both the GP and ortho said to take it. Ibandronate once a month. I also started more calcium rich foods- milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, a mulit vitamin with calcium and an extra strength tums. The next dexa was not as dire- still osteoporosis, but steady. Dr. said to still take it until the next one is due. I have not had any side effects although I worry that I will have that thigh fracture or jaw trouble. But all OK and I've taken it since early 2020. I had lost 3 inches in height My mom had it. Like IL and Tradd, I figured my weight training was already on my body every day, but apparently that doesn't help the spine! My mother was tiny. I'm sturdy stock!

I'd take the meds, but with plenty of consultation with doctors first. Which meds? I don't know, but I think there are several options at this point specifically for osteoporosis, bisphosphonates mostly, but also SERMS, monoclonal antibodies, parathyroid.

Because I'm not sure reversing osteoporosis with diet and exercise is actually even POSSIBLE. At best with that one can maybe prevent it from getting worse, but if it's osteoporosis not osteopenia, it's already in a pretty bad way. And a broken hip or something and most people do not recover and many die within a year of that happening. But many older people have osteoporosis and are very much walking around NOT DEAD? Yes, they just haven't broken a hip bone or something. But falls are not uncommon either. If they happen to be unlucky and fall and break stuff death can proceed quickly.
    Trees don't grow on money

I just did some research and found that credible sources recommend the K vitamins (K1 & K2) can be quite helpful in combating and preventing osteoporosis--so just ordered some to try. No reported side effects if taken as directed (unlike some of the prescribed meds). Worth a try.
    peaceful, easy feeling

Thread Information