Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What do you consider middle class?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think your self flagellations are silly.

Certainly, we all need to guard against the dehumanizing pull of avarice, but a “silver chain” hardly rises to that occasion. But you do you.
    I am cringe to admit this in a world with so many hungry people and such instability, but here goes - $259 before tax. I'm sure you can understand my guilt now. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I am cringe to admit this in a world with so many hungry people and such instability, but here goes - $259 before tax. I'm sure you can understand my guilt now. Rob
    No, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    No, not at all.
    Ditto.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Fair question, TMS. Fair question. For me it's so foreign to have money left over to (hoard) invest and save - this kind of money - that I expect the other shoe to drop any day now. My life has known little stability in the sense of not being immune to constant financial fear that would have been less in one of the better countries. So the concept of being middle class is - is - is like a trip, you know? Just a trip. Mind you I'm not complaining nor do I care to go back to where I was - it's just that it's a trip. Rob
    I can totally understand this (as well as the angst about the silver chain!). I have been there and will admit to there being a residual fear of a "return to the struggle". In my lifetime so far, I have made very good money followed by living on a shoestring. Happy we are back to being a little more comfortable, but I don't think I will ever forget struggling. As with you, I'm not complaining and I am ever so grateful for everything! I just realize how quickly people and things can be ripped away.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I can totally understand this (as well as the angst about the silver chain!). I have been there and will admit to there being a residual fear of a "return to the struggle". In my lifetime so far, I have made very good money followed by living on a shoestring. Happy we are back to being a little more comfortable, but I don't think I will ever forget struggling. As with you, I'm not complaining and I am ever so grateful for everything! I just realize how quickly people and things can be ripped away.
    Agreed..BTDT too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    You get it, HappyStuff, Thank You! And you are so so right, it all can be stripped away from you so quickly. And often via circumstances completely beyond your control. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Agreed..BTDT too.
    Thank You, too, Catherine. Rob

Started to type a reply, will have to come back to this later, as I am headed in to make sure the deposit gets to the bank, then home to clean for a bit, then medical, then to try my first night back at the restaurant. Haven't had the stamina to work my normal 12 hour days, but the way the idiot has run things, I am hoping not to have to go three uncashed/uncashable paychecks.

As for fear of financial struggle, I have never realistically had financial worry BUT our jokes about Inner Bag Ladies land with me because I am fearful of being poor. I have not been there. Do not ever want to be there. And struggling with financial problems when you have dependent children is a special kind of money hell.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    As for fear of financial struggle, I have never realistically had financial worry BUT our jokes about Inner Bag Ladies land with me because I am fearful of being poor. I have not been there. Do not ever want to be there. And struggling with financial problems when you have dependent children is a special kind of money hell.
    Lunch lady tells kid that they can't get lunch because mom's check bounced.
    Need milk, solicit kids to help dig through couch cushions for change.
    Have only $11 to throw a birthday party for 10 year old and then feel the poignancy and shame to the core when the kid is effusively grateful for the gift--a bag of tube socks from Walmart.
    Kid asks you drop them off a block from school because they are embarrassed to be seen in old beat-up car.
    Neighbor drops off hand-me-downs, unsolicited, and clueless Mom dresses kid in one of his classmate's hand-me-downs, incurring ridicule from previous owner.
    Family comes home from a visit to grandma and, as usual, flicks on the light switch just to see if the electric company had shut them off again.
    When electric company comes to red-tag the meter, eldest street-smart kid engages the worker in conversation specifically to see how he put it on, so kid could take it off.
    Local library levies a judgement for overdue fines.
    Daughter lands in emergency room after a doctor visit and phone has been cut off so neighbor has to go to the house to inform DH.
    After having a miscarriage, mom unable to pay OB/GYN bill; OB calls to personally harass deadbeat patient.

That's the short list. No more surprising to me than anyone else--me--the college-educated, nice suburban soccer-mom. But that's the way it was, until thankfully it wasn't.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information