Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Destined to become an authoritarian dictatorship?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I see that the Governor of New York has called up the National Guard to assist police within NY City's subway system although no one seems to be concerned about it. Do you think that 'so what' attitude will continue if a Republican did the same?
    I see a problem if Trump uses the military to handle problems that should be delt with on a state or local level without a request for federal help, or if they are us excessive force to squash demonstrations, protests, or rebellions by his political opponents or critics, like he has intimated. At least what I can think of off hand, but there may be more. Those are probably a little higher profile than an city's subway system. To be fair I could see Biden using the military if there is another election big lie and the extreme right people tries to storm federal government buildings again. I suspect it's a power that could be used or abused.

I don't quite understand how the NY subway relates to presidential use of the Insurrection Act if that is a point?.
    Last edited by Rogar; 3-9-24 at 8:34am.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I see that the Governor of New York has called up the National Guard to assist police within NY City's subway system although no one seems to be concerned about it. Do you think that 'so what' attitude will continue if a Republican did the same?
    Depends on what the problem is that they call up the guard for.

Thread Information