Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Destined to become an authoritarian dictatorship?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Destined to become an authoritarian dictatorship?

I just read online that the Supreme Court gave DJT a large gift of sorts - DJT WILL be appearing on ballots in Colorado, Maine and Illinois due to it's intervention. I'm really worried - not so much for this one particular decision but for the possible end result. Anyone else here worried? Rob

It seems a large chunk of our populace wants this man as their leader again. I don't get it other than he tells them what they want to hear.

How do you think this would happen?

Really seems ignorant to think that all the other mechanisms in place, like a constitutional convention to change from a vote to a dictatorship, and all those who swore an oath to uphold the constitution would just let him magically sign a piece of paper declaring himself dictator for life. let alone those that are there to protect him or whoever is holding the office at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    How do you think this would happen?

Really seems ignorant to think that all the other mechanisms in place, like a constitutional convention to change from a vote to a dictatorship, and all those who swore an oath to uphold the constitution would just let him magically sign a piece of paper declaring himself dictator for life. let alone those that are there to protect him or whoever is holding the office at the time.
    Current law gives the president BROAD powers to declare martial law and do all sorts of things that would make our heads spin. Other than trump we've never had a traitor as president before so it hasn't been an issue. And last time he was president there were enough institutionalists in his administration to prevent him from acting on his worst inclinations. If given a second chance at the presidency he won't make that same mistake. He may be stupid but he's not THAT stupid.

The Posse Comitatus law requires the approval of Congress before a President can use the US military for law enforcement. We aren’t living in a conspiracy movie.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The Posse Comitatus law requires the approval of Congress before a President can use the US military for law enforcement. We aren’t living in a conspiracy movie.
    A fact check is welcome, but I believe the president can order the military to suppress an "insurrection" without congressional approval. As we've seen, the definition of insurrection is somewhat fluid and could be confused with a demonstration.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    A fact check is welcome, but I believe the president can order the military to suppress an "insurrection" without congressional approval. As we've seen, the definition of insurrection is somewhat fluid and could be confused with a demonstration.
    A governor could use the state national guard in that manner but a president would need to either declare martial law, which would have a wider range of consequences, or get congressional approval to bypass Posse Comitatus restrictions. There's a process involved in every fantasy modern leftists engage in but that realization is usually lost within the daydream.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    A governor could use the state national guard in that manner but a president would need to either declare martial law, which would have a wider range of consequences, or get congressional approval to bypass Posse Comitatus restrictions. There's a process involved in every fantasy modern leftists engage in but that realization is usually lost within the daydream.
    Doing my own fact check, my daydream of the the Insurrection Act is different than your conservative delusion? We do construct reality to conform to our tribal consensus.

"The law, which lets the president deploy the military domestically and use it for civilian law enforcement, is dangerously vague..."

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...-act-explained

For another day, could Trump have ordered the National Guard to protect the Capitol on 1/6 if he had chosen to act rather than watch TV. Would there have to be a declaration of martial law or congressional approval. And how far does his immunity to do what ever go?
    Last edited by Rogar; 3-5-24 at 8:28pm.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    In answer to your question, Rob: Yes, I'm very worried. The possibility is the stuff of nightmares, truly.
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Doing my own fact check, my daydream of the the Insurrection Act interpretation is different than your conservative delusion? We do perceive reality to conform to our tribal consensus.

"The law, which lets the president deploy the military domestically and use it for civilian law enforcement, is dangerously vague..."

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...-act-explained

For another day, could Trump have ordered the National Guard to protect the Capitol on 1/6 if he had chosen to act rather than watch TV.
    Ahh, good catch! I was focusing on JP's concern about Martial Law. As far as the Insurrection Act, what types of activities are you expecting which would concern you enough to fear Trump invoking it?

As for your question about Trump possibly ordering the National Guard to protect the Capitol, you can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the District of Columbia, lacking a Governor, the responsibility for calling up the National Guard rests with the Speaker Of The House. I suppose Trump could have invoked the Insurrection Act and sent active duty troops or gone through the process of nationalizing the National Guard but simply didn't, although Nancy Pelosi could have called up the National Guard as well, and neither did she. In hindsight, perhaps one of them should have.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information