Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Destined to become an authoritarian dictatorship?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I can’t read the article because paywall. Are the people bringing the suit in congress or some rando’s?
    it isnt a lawsuit.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/202...e-wins-report/

this source quotes the Atlantic article as your buddies out there in California Adam Shiff and that crowd, won’t commit to certifying a Trump election.

“…According to The Atlantic, Democratic Reps. Adam Schiff (Calif.), Eric Swalwell (Calif.), Jamie Raskin (Md.), James Clyburn (S.C.), and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jefferies (N.Y.) have refused to commit to confirming the 2024 election results if Trump wins in a potential rematch election against President Joe Biden.”

I guess that’s just more of the same peevishness that they exhibited in 2017:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...allenge-233294

but everybody’s doing it, it’s apparently just what Congress does these days.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...uary-6/677545/

is this headline correct or is it Clickbait? Democrats are saying they won’t certify Donald Trump if he wins the election? That seems, if not radicalized, petty and January 6ish.
    I don't know about civil war, but that would certainly get the attention of the armed radical right!

I see civil war chances as extremely remote, but I would not rule out isolated acts of violence, civil disobedience, and general disruptions to law and order.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

…I see civil war chances as extremely remote, but I would not rule out isolated acts of violence, civil disobedience, and general disruptions to law and order.
    Ah, just another day in St. Louis then

Or Shitcago.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Or Shitcago.
    Or parts of Westside Phoenix. Rob

Or a multiple there of.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Assuming Trump wins and the Democrats win majorities in both houses, would a 14th Amendment exclusion require a simple majority or a supermajority?

And if Trump loses, will every backyard tiki torch be hyped into Fort Sumpter 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Assuming Trump wins and the Democrats win majorities in both houses, would a 14th Amendment exclusion require a simple majority or a supermajority?

And if Trump loses, will every backyard tiki torch be hyped into Fort Sumpter 2.0?
    I just hope that whichever of the old men we don’t want in the White House wins, that oldster wins decisively with a large enough margin that there can’t be too much griping and moaning about it. But since every election is fairly close, it is unlikely I will get my wish.

I just hope that whichever of the old men we don’t want in the White House wins, that oldster wins decisively with a large enough margin that there can’t be too much griping and moaning about it. But since every election is fairly close, it is unlikely I will get my wish.
    Between the Retribution guy and Democracy’s Savior, I’m probably going to vote Libertarian for the third time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It's speculation to say how far Trump would go and how much of his bolster is just talk. Conceivably he could use or try to use the military to squash just about any demonstration. He threated to use the military to control the George Floyd protests. You may take this for what it's worth, which includes a discussion of the Insurrection Act and the powers of the president. There is a Crosby, Stills, and Nash song that comes to mind, something about Ohio?
    I see that the Governor of New York has called up the National Guard to assist police within NY City's subway system although no one seems to be concerned about it. Do you think that 'so what' attitude will continue if a Republican did the same?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information