Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Destined to become an authoritarian dictatorship?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    People say a lot of ridiculous, hysterical things on the internet, but I can’t think of a single person I know who’s primed to take up arms against whatever enemies you care to name. This isn’t 1861. It’s not even 1968.
    I won't mention my zip code again but I will say this much - most people in my.neighborhood believe a civil war is inevitable, as do I. I am far from alone in this. I dread it but I won't turn and look the other way, either. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I won't mention my zip code again but I will say this much - most people in my.neighborhood believe a civil war is inevitable, as do I.
    What is the basis of this belief?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I can’t think of a single person I know who’s primed to take up arms against whatever enemies you care to name.
    But I can. And it's scary as hell. And while I don't think civil war is an inevitability, I see no point in ignoring the fact that there ARE armed, disciplined, radicalized people people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What is the basis of this belief?
    Look around you, Alan. The glue that once held the fabric of this society together is falling apart. Some kind of nasty conflict really does seem inevitable. I've never seen such sorry candidates on both sides with no real solutions. Rapidly rising costs, health care a thing of terror for so many, stagnant wages, a border in chaos.....I see a perfect storm ahead for the dissolution of the United States. And for the record I DON'T WANT WAR. Have I made that point sufficiently clear? I'm adult enough to see what's going on and to accept the inevitability of some kind of intense future conflict. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    But I can. And it's scary as hell. And while I don't think civil war is an inevitability, I see no point in ignoring the fact that there ARE armed, disciplined, radicalized people people out there.
    Yes. Radicalized folks on BOTH sides. I could not agree more. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    People say a lot of ridiculous, hysterical things on the internet, but I can’t think of a single person I know who’s primed to take up arms against whatever enemies you care to name. This isn’t 1861. It’s not even 1968.
    You're correct that it's not 1861 or 1968. But if traitor trump wins in november it might be 1968 all over again on the afternoon of January 20th of next year. He's already promised as much. And the best rebuttal the sad party he leads can come up with is "don't pay attention to anything he says. He's not trustworthy in what he says."

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Yes. Radicalized folks on BOTH sides. I could not agree more. Rob
    Democrats are not currently radicalized. For that to happen will require trump to win in november and then follow through with his threats to be a dictator on day one and do all the shitty things he's promised to do to destroy the country. If he loses, as he should, we'll calmly continue on with our lives while he finally faces justice and then throw a ginormous party when putin's pathetic bootlicker finally goes to a supermax prison.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Democrats are not currently radicalized. For that to happen will require trump to win in november and then follow through with his threats to be a dictator on day one and do all the shitty things he's promised to do to destroy the country. If he loses, as he should, we'll calmly continue on with our lives while he finally faces justice and then throw a ginormous party when putin's pathetic bootlicker finally goes to a supermax prison.
    I wish I could have more faith in your vision of the future, jp1, but I'll try. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...uary-6/677545/

is this headline correct or is it Clickbait? Democrats are saying they won’t certify Donald Trump if he wins the election? That seems, if not radicalized, petty and January 6ish.
    I am not a serious person.

I can’t read the article because paywall. Are the people bringing the suit in congress or some rando’s?

Thread Information