Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: induction cooktops

Induction cooking, the surfaces DO get hot, pull a lid off and see a bit of steam convert to water and drop and sizzle on the stove and make sure your hand is far enough back from the edge of the rag you are trying to get it up with.

An older induction I saw, all the burners were the same size. I believe commercial ones are larger and my and my parents stoves have two different sized burners.
    I do think preheat on the oven is quicker with electric verses gas in my experience. Also think electric is generally more even temperature, as gas can fluctuate more based on neighborhood usage (winter when all the furnaces are going).

Our friend who just did her kitchen has induction where the entire rectangle is a "burner" that can be split into chunks. It senses where the pan is and that is the zone for that pan. Then you put another pan down and it senses it and calls that "zone 2" and so forth so you can theoretically have 6 different pans and each one will be controlled individually regardless of placement. To adjust the heat you just push button 1-6 and then up or down temp.

It was pricy (maybe $3,000?) and who knows if it will be as awesome in real life as the concept. But if it is that's really cool.

JP: I definitely assumed they would be easier to clean, and that was a big part of the appeal for me. I was surprised to hear that they were harder to keep clean.

Thread Information