Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: induction cooktops

induction cooktops

I've been reading about how great they are compared to standard electric stoves. Borrowed a standalone one burner induction hotplate from a friend to see if it would be faster for making coffee in the morning. (I have a standard French press and every morning I boil water while grinding the beans in a hand crank grinder.) The stove takes ten minutes to boil enough water for my coffee. Just tested out the induction burner (had to buy a kettle that works with induction since the only pan we own that works with induction is a cast iron frying pan, and the kettle arrived this afternoon) and it literally took 3 1/2 minutes to boil the same amount of water! I'm sold. For now I'm going to buy a standalone burner of my own but when it comes time to replace our stove I will most likely get one with an induction cooktop.

The burners aren't cheap. The one I am getting is $83. But the time and electricity savings are totally worth it.

Good to hear some actual numbers. I use an electric kettle myself.

As you know, in the past couple years, I bought two new stoves, and spent a lot of money on them. Neither have induction or convection or whatever.

I don’t care if things are slow. I want gas cooking and that’s what I got.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    As you know, in the past couple years, I bought two new stoves, and spent a lot of money on them. Neither have induction or convection or whatever.

I don’t care if things are slow. I want gas cooking and that’s what I got.
    Our apartment in the city had gas. And I loved it. I’ve learned to use electric since we moved here. But I’ve never loved it. I’m going to have to experiment with induction.

JP: We almost went with induction, but hearing from a couple of people who actually have it changed our minds. We heard that the stovetops are almost impossible to keep clean, scratch easily, only look good until something spills over a time or two. A friend just replaced an induction that wasn't very old with a new gas stove.

They are harder to keep clean in my experience, try moving into a house that already has one that is a bit older. They do work well, but several people taught me (a couple professional chefs, the 100 year old neighbor and family, etc), that the preferred thing would be a gas stove, with a electric oven. My old house was set up that I could have done that, this one, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    They are harder to keep clean in my experience, try moving into a house that already has one that is a bit older. They do work well, but several people taught me (a couple professional chefs, the 100 year old neighbor and family, etc), that the preferred thing would be a gas stove, with a electric oven. My old house was set up that I could have done that, this one, not at all.
    That’s what we have in Hermann, gas stove with electric oven.

I do t do enough work with an oven to speak to gas vs electric. My condo has a gas oven but I never use it.

That’ms interesting about the keeping clean part. I would’ve assumed it would be easier than regular electric since the surface does t get hot. It seems like one ought to be able to just wipe spills up. The friend that I borrowed the hot plate from just switched from gas to induction when she redid her kitchen. We’ll see how she likes it over time. For now our stove is fine so hopefully any decision we make will be years down the road.

A friend of ours bought a house with an induction cook top, and replaced it because she was unable to use over-size cook pots or canners - the stove read the oversize as a problem of some sort and would not work. As she canned and made huge batches of soups, etc, it was a no-go for her. I don't know how old the cooktop was, or if that's an issue that has been corrected, but still. It was also stained and looked dirty all the time. If I want a bit of hot water fast, I just run a cup through the kureg-type part of our coffee pot. It's pretty quick, but only does about 14 oz at a time. Enough for me, lol.

Also, my expensive, but old-technology stoves do not even have a self cleaning oven.

Thread Information