Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ramit Sethi

Yes, Indy is in the "path of totality". So assuming there isn't cloud cover at the time, our yard may be the perfect viewing point. My MIL is coming down for the event, I hear that there may be a couple extra million people in the area. Hubs has joked we should sell tickets to park on the lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Well, Kib, you are closer to Lake Michigan...probably good summer produce...We spent a week in Mishewaka once and had frozen custard, toured Notre Dame Univ. , husband played golf, toured the chocolate factory, went to lake Michigan which amazed me- it has tides and waves and the sand doesn't stick to you like ocean sand. Not sure about tornados and snow storms...Let us know what you find that helps you feel more rooted. I would imagine the lack of light is noticeable. There's something about the clarity in the desert states that is stunning.
    The hardest thing, honestly, is probably my own pride. I chose Bisbee on purpose for the weather, yes, but mostly the social climate ... after 25 years, I had a life there that felt mindful and deliberate and connected. This feels like being blown randomly. I may be attributing things to Indy that have happened everywhere - less community, people struggling and less connected, a different mindset that feels so foreign to me as I age. I used to know about those things, now I'm actually experiencing them. Big girl panties, Kib!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Well, Kib, you are closer to Lake Michigan...probably good summer produce...We spent a week in Mishewaka once and had frozen custard, toured Notre Dame Univ. , husband played golf, toured the chocolate factory, went to lake Michigan which amazed me- it has tides and waves and the sand doesn't stick to you like ocean sand. Not sure about tornados and snow storms...Let us know what you find that helps you feel more rooted. I would imagine the lack of light is noticeable. There's something about the clarity in the desert states that is stunning.
    Yes, the Great Lakes are “inland seas.”

Give Indy a chance and some time. Both times I did a big move (AK to IN, IN to NC), it took almost a year to settle and feel less like a stranger. Find your tribe whether church, hobby group, exercise group, neighborhood, etc. There are still neighborhoods with good community established.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Give Indy a chance and some time. Both times I did a big move (AK to IN, IN to NC), it took almost a year to settle and feel less like a stranger. Find your tribe whether church, hobby group, exercise group, neighborhood, etc. There are still neighborhoods with good community established.
    Actually my neighborhood, a little blip off of Allisonville Road, is pretty awesome, a group of die hard older people who've mostly been here for years. But we bought next to an empty lot, and a gigantic house double the size of anything else has sprung up practically overnight, a two story monstrosity looming in our every window to shame every little house around it, and the people who live there might as well be ghosts. Except for occasionally coming out and removing every bit of vegetation other than the sod from a property formerly bursting with life and magnolia trees. I'm SO regretting not buying that lot when I had the chance!! Anyway, I really do appreciate my other neighbors. Maybe not exactly like minded, but nice people.

Kib: almost all the empty lots are now full in our neighborhood. $1M houses plunked down next to what used to be called cracker box houses. In a few neighborhoods, Habitat for Humanity houses compete with $500,000+ houses and they look the same. Worst examples are when something is not "matched" in size to the neighborhood. There is a beautiful container house, one of the first in Indy, dropped on a tiny urban lot. No yard, views, or comparable houses around it. There is another that looks like a 3+ story candle stuck next to two old fashioned one story low roof homes.

Welcome back, KIB!
    Bisbee is a special place and must have been hard to leave
    . I know what you mean about its "social climate."
    I was last there in 2005 and recall thinking of you at the time.

There was an earlier incarnation of this website, but I cannot remember its inception date. Some of us had different handles, but yours was KIB even then. I used to enjoy your posts.

I hope you are feeling more comfortable soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Simone View Post
    Welcome back, KIB!
    Bisbee is a special place and must have been hard to leave
    . I know what you mean about its "social climate."
    I was last there in 2005 and recall thinking of you at the time.

There was an earlier incarnation of this website, but I cannot remember its inception date. Some of us had different handles, but yours was KIB even then. I used to enjoy your posts.

I hope you are feeling more comfortable soon.
    Hi, Simone, thank you! I remember so many of the people here, in fact I often have thought about them even while I've 'been away'. It's amazing the stuff we remember, isn't it? Bae's daughter had a pet rat named Priscilla, but he called her Fang. Yes, my brain hangs onto the silliest details!

Once upon a time I was Karen In Bisbee, until someone pointed out that might be TMI to put out on the internet. I once actually met people IRL who said oh my gosh, You're Karen In Bisbee? Maybe my closest brush with fame, ha ha. (and I thought Oh My Gosh, me and my big mouth, what do these strangers know about me!!)

I even had a handle before that, but I don't remember what it was. But yeah, I've been circling, diving and swooping here for a quarter of a century! (Before being a Karen was a bad thing, haha.) Maybe I should now be Karen, Indianapolis, Beginning Again. Kiba. Hmm.

Thread Information