Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bernie’s World

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Hunh…unintended consequences of do-gooding. Who knew there could be such a thing?
    All those people fleeing California?

In my corporate life, salaried people were pretty much expected to work a more than 40 hour work week
    So I've almost always been salaried (was salaried non-exempt at one job, which is salaried but you get overtime pay after 40, I know most people don't understand that is a thing, but it actually is a thing, salaried and exempt are not equivalent). But anyway, mostly I've been salaried exempt (from overtime) and almost noone has worked me over 40 hours except briefly for a push.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Dumb, dishonest economic policies know no party affiliation. Price controls, trillion dollar coins, rent controls, modern monetary theory, old New Deals and new New Deals are all stupid in their own way. This detracts nothing from the stupidity of Bernie’s proposal.
    And multi trillion dollar tax cuts for rich people from the ‘fiscal responsibility’ party. Don’t forget about that mega maga idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My county did this last year, promising us no reduction in services….

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...our-work-week/
    LWV Report from the County Council meeting this week:

County staff reviewed the initial impact of the 32-hour work week six months in. The move addressed the fiscal conundrum of rising costs and wages that would have cost about $1 million. An employee survey showed that 67% of employees had increased satisfaction with more flexibility and better work life balance. Separations dropped 46%; the county saw its largest ever increase in applicants for open positions with 78% citing the 32-hour workweek as a plus. Total hours worked by county staff dropped only 8%, because staff took 31% less sick leave and vacant positions were filled. Some 12% of staff felt stressed by having the same amount of work but less time to do it. They need to look at a universal schedule and measure key performance indicators for the one-year review.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    LWV Report from the County Council meeting this week:
    Wow! Interesting findings. I've been reading Slow Productivity by Cal Newport which talks about the importance of time off. Also, last week I saw a CBS Sunday Morning segment on "laziness" (It featured, in part, the "lazy" practices of The Institute for Advanced Study which has produced an impressive number of Nobel Laureates.) One of the reasons I ditched the corporate life was because I wanted to be accountable only for what I produce--not for how much time I put in.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    that is cool. I’m always happy to see other jurisdictions try this stuff. I was thrilled with the idea of Oregon and Colorado going to Universal healthcare, but hunh, that did not happen… I wanted to see how those experiments worked on a statewide level.

I do not see how reduction in work hours for existing employees can work when every business I know is begging for employees, including municipalities. How can you take an already reduced workforce and reduce them even more? Does not compute.
    oh yeah, Cane Corsos are a trend And then they are not generally family dogs especially from breeders who haven’t been doing it for decades and are well-known in the dog world. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go the way of Dobermans, then Rottweiler, now pitbull in being collected by tough guy ghetto folks.
    I am not a serious person.

Thread Information