Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bernie’s World

Bernie’s World

I see Senator Sanders is proposing an eight hour reduction to the work week, with “no reduction in pay”. Grand economic theorist that he is, he doesn’t go into much detail on how this would affect the economy. Realistically, I would think the increased unit labor cost would tend to drive jobs overseas, increase investments in automation and significantly increase youth unemployment.

Oh, no worries. If every business just cut back their operations by 20% while simultaneously adjusting pricing to increase inflation by an equal amount everything will be fine.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I agree it's crazy to see Bernie channeling his inner Richard Nixon.

Other than government workers, I'd think private enterprise can determine the length of work week and commensurate pay with out making it official? There must be more to it. There are days when I get the feeling that the work from home trend has already affected work quality, if not actual productive hours. Playing Frisbee with Fido doesn't count as work.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I realize a lot of office-type jobs don’t have quantifiable goals. Thankfully mine does. So as long as I meet those goals my boss doesn’t give a crap how long I work or when. That allows me to do things like go to doctor’s appointments during the workday. Or volunteer weekly at the local animal shelter for a couple hours. My assistant is in a similar situation. I don’t care when she works. I just care that she gets all the ‘paper’work processed in a timely fashion. She cuts out at around 3;00 every day to go get her kids from school, makes them dinner annd helps with homework, etc, and then works later in the evening. When I log on in the morning I have a bunch of emails from her sending out policies and such at 8:00, 9:00, 10:00 in the evening.

I truly think that there is a lot of wasted time during the day, and that reduced hours don't necessarily mean reduced productivity. Probably the opposite. I wonder if there is typically less productivity in companies that have summer hours.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well, the freight doesn’t stop moving so a 32 hour week wouldn’t work for my industry. Plus when the customers expect you to be in the office from 8-5, companies would have to hire additional people to make up the difference. Wouldn’t work.

Are you sure he wasn't just proposing this for Congress?

My county did this last year, promising us no reduction in services….

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...our-work-week/

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My county did this last year, promising us no reduction in services….

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...our-work-week/

that is cool. I’m always happy to see other jurisdictions try this stuff. I was thrilled with the idea of Oregon and Colorado going to Universal healthcare, but hunh, that did not happen… I wanted to see how those experiments worked on a statewide level.

I do not see how reduction in work hours for existing employees can work when every business I know is begging for employees, including municipalities. How can you take an already reduced workforce and reduce them even more? Does not compute.
    I am not a serious person.

Thread Information