Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha-Gal syndrome

Alpha-Gal syndrome

Alpha-Gal syndrome is the disease “you’ve never heard of.” But I heard of it because Tybee’s husband has it and I have heard of others with it.It’s an allergy to mammalian meat and their products. Beef, pork, cheese, milk are on the do not eat list.

it is caused by tick bites.

well, I have it! Interesting, eh? we live in tick country.

Personally, I think I am asymptomatic, but I’m figuring that out now. Common reactions among people with this disease are anaphylactic reaction and that, of course can be very serious. Other symptoms are gastrointestinal upset, some heart affect, I’m not sure what else.

Tybee, care to jump in here?
    I am not a serious person.

I'm so sorry, IL. I've heard of this and was afraid I might have gotten it from the last bad tick bite I received last year. So far, it looks like I haven't and am very grateful! Again, so sorry you are dealing with this.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Ugh, Iris. Sorry to hear.

I’m optimistic because I didn’t know that I had it. I have reoccurring GERD but I’m not convinced that is due to this Alpha-Gal thing.

And here I thought it involved you being an alpha female and asserting dominance over your husband.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    And here I thought it involved you being an alpha female and asserting dominance over your husband.
    I had the same initial thought when I first read the subject line. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I had the same initial thought when I first read the subject line. LOL.
    Me, too!!

Sorry to hear that, IL. Ticks, as small as they are, can cause a lot of damage these days!! So what is the treatment? Avoid those foods? Do you have to carry an epi-pen?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Me, too!!

Sorry to hear that, IL. Ticks, as small as they are, can cause a lot of damage these days!! So what is the treatment? Avoid those foods? Do you have to carry an epi-pen?

I don’t yet know how I’m going to adjust my life to this.

Giving up pork would be hard, beef a little bit harder. Cheese – giving that up is hard, super hard hard!

On the bright side, Asian cuisine which I love already, and Middle Eastern cuisine always have a fish and chicken option and are not cheese and milk-based at all. So I could see that working.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    That is funny and an accurate description of my world

My husband gave up 4 legged animal meat decades ago due to intestinal issues. Dont miss it. Poultry, fish and veggies are our go to items. He would hate to give up cheese though. I only use skim milk and could, if pressed, convert.

However, the Mayo Clinic website only goes into avoiding red meat and closely related items. I would give those up first and see if you can tolerate cheese and milk. Kind of your own elimination program. Each of us is so different. So much easier since you have clues and timeframes to watch for in an allergic reaction.

Thread Information