Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha-Gal syndrome

Coming from a mostly vegan/vegetarian, I could think of it as a glass is half full opportunity.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Coming from a mostly vegan/vegetarian, I could think of it as a glass is half full opportunity.
    Yes, I can see that. It may turn out that way.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Middle Eastern cuisine always have a fish and chicken option and are not cheese and milk-based at all. So I could see that working.
    Do you have a Middle Eastern cookbook? Claudia Roden's New Book of Middle Eastern Food is my favorite. I've had it almost 20 years. The spicy Moroccan shrimp is a favorite. Ginger, cumin, paprika, and as much chili powder as you want. To die for,

That is interesting about the milk and cheese; no one told us that! DH had massive anaphylatic reaction to half a hamburger, after he had been eating them and getting hives and taking benadryl for about a year before we figured it out via reading the internet about the discovery of the tick connection, He had a couple of really bad tick bites in SC that landed him in the ER. He's had it now about 10 years, I think? He was prescribed an epi pen. Luckily for him, it is easy to avoid eating mammalian meat protein and he has no problems with fish and poultry.
    He does eat ice cream, with no anaphylaxis, but I will tell him about that and see if he wants to give up milk products.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That is interesting about the milk and cheese; no one told us that! DH had massive anaphylatic reaction to half a hamburger, after he had been eating them and getting hives and taking benadryl for about a year before we figured it out via reading the internet about the discovery of the tick connection, He had a couple of really bad tick bites in SC that landed him in the ER. He's had it now about 10 years, I think? He was prescribed an epi pen. Luckily for him, it is easy to avoid eating mammalian meat protein and he has no problems with fish and poultry.
    He does eat ice cream, with no anaphylaxis, but I will tell him about that and see if he wants to give up milk products.
    At least there are enough cow's milk alternatives these days if your DH is interested in those for in coffee or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    At least there are enough cow's milk alternatives these days if your DH is interested in those for in coffee or something like that.
    Are there such thing as Cheeses made from non-animal products? I know there’s coconut milk and rice milk and etc. but I’ve not thought about cheeses. I bet they’re not very good if they do exist.

thank you for the cookbook recommendation Tradd. I really have to think my way through this, but it wouldn’t hurt me to look into cooking more in that cuisine,

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Are there such thing as Cheeses made from non-animal products? I know there’s coconut milk and rice milk and etc. but I’ve not thought about cheeses. I bet they’re not very good if they do exist.

thank you for the cookbook recommendation Tradd. I really have to think my way through this, but it wouldn’t hurt me to look into cooking more in that cuisine,
    I have a niece that is vegan and, yes, there are vegan cheeses. I've never had any, but she seems to like it.

Edited to add: She might just use it for cooking - not eating like sliced cheese.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I've had fake cheese once or twice. Absolutely nasty,

The meat I could give up, I only eat red meat occasionally anyway, though I enjoy it when I do. But the cheese, I did not know about that part. That's hard.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    My husband gave up 4 legged animal meat decades ago due to intestinal issues. Dont miss it. Poultry, fish and veggies are our go to items. He would hate to give up cheese though. I only use skim milk and could, if pressed, convert.

However, the Mayo Clinic website only goes into avoiding red meat and closely related items. I would give those up first and see if you can tolerate cheese and milk. Kind of your own elimination program. Each of us is so different. So much easier since you have clues and timeframes to watch for in an allergic reaction.
    This is excellent advice! I think I will take that approach: wind down on beef and pork. Avoid milk most of the time. Continue to consume cheese and butter. See what hapoens.

Thread Information