Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alpha-Gal syndrome

I've experimented with fake meat and cheeses probably since they were commonly available several years ago. It's safe to say that none of them taste the same as what they were intended for as a substitute. The fake meats have improved and Impossible like ground meats can satisfy my burger urge or in something like tacos. Any fake chicken is not even close to real chicken and not appealing to me. Fake cheeses vary by brand, but generally are only good for texture, but not much on flavor. Low fat mozzarella cheese is an acceptable excursion from my self-imposed mostly vegan diet. I'm hoping someday they will make a reasonable fake bacon.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I've experimented with fake meat and cheeses probably since they were commonly available several years ago.

It has been a lot longer then that since hot dogs were invented.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    It has been a lot longer then that since hot dogs were invented.
    Good point

An out of town friend asked me if I'd ever seen smelt at whole foods, so I did a browsing mission. I did not see smelt, but I did notice, "salmon hot dogs". That might be one for a food experiment some day. I can remember seeing frozen bags of smelt at the supermarket years ago, but not anywhere recently
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Chicken or turkey sausages in a bun make a pretty good hot dog alternative (I like the Applegate organics brand). So processed meat like that even when poultry isn't healthy, but we're talking maybe a few summer holidays.
    Trees don't grow on money

Summer holidays and no beef... I'm suddenly reminded of how good portobello mushroom burgers are!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information